Skutt Classic Wheel Noise

Hey all

So I got a brand new (the red) skutt classic wheel. I've been excited to try something new! And was sold on the big motor and SSX upgrade to help with volume. Well, I have to say this wheel is louder than any brent or notoriously loud wheel i've ever used. It's hard to focus sometimes while I'm throwing. I know new motors means new brushes and they have to get seated and all that good stuff. But I've been using it for over a week and the noise hasn't gone down a bit. Even ran it in reverse (which is much louder, as assumed) for a while and nothing helped. I'll attach a video just so you know what I'm working with. I'm not a stranger to a loud electric motor but this feels a bit excessive. 

Edited by brettwulc

Yep, that's loud!
:)
My Skutt (Stephen Hill model, bought "used" in 2018 - preowned, not actually used) is loud; it has quieted down some with use.
It was much louder clockwise than counterclockwise, at first, now opposite (I run clockwise).
Commutator clean-up and polish helped, a lot at first, but the racket ramped back up some - not as much as afore tho'.
I've often thought to do some sound proofing, but then I just turn on the surround sound and get throwing!

We have some Elastilon (closed cell foam floor underlayment with a sticky side) scraps that might help.
I'll report back when, err, if I get around to it.
If soundproofing/dampening, be sure to avoid blocking the motor's cooling - keep it cool.

added: You might reach out to Skutt support; they have a solid reputation for responsiveness...

Several Forum regulars use Skutt wheels; check back for updates...

Edited by Hulk
added

Got on the phone with customer service and sounds to them like they have to replace the motor. Something wasn't right and they were surprised it passed quality control. Luckily I live in portland so I'm going to take it in next week. Gotta appreciate the customer service at Skutt!