Laser G7 repair, safety concern!

I am currently considering repair of an old G7 Laser in poor condition as the ceiling of the kiln is waterdamaged and is sagging. After careful removal of the top panel I have some concerns about possible asbestos panels holding the ceramic fiber. (not internal kiln tiles, external tiles facing metal case of kiln). Does anyone know if asbestos was used in the making of these kilns? I believe its from 1995 if that helps. Also any information on suitable replacement materials would be greatly appreciated! 

IMG_5770 Large.jpeg

IMG_5771 Large.jpeg

It has a long history in the US starting in 1977 with a date of 1989 with which many consider a near prohibition for new use. In the UK, very likely sooner so I would Google for sure if you are curious of international participation. I would not assume though that the presence of a ban means it is not asbestos or asbestos containing. One thing I do know is we always presume it is and test to rule it out. The only test I am aware of that is accurate would be a bulk sample to an accredited lab where the sample is analyzed appropriately.

Current (international) asbestos ban article http://ibasecretariat.org/alpha_ban_list.php

Just a caution here KN95 and N95 masks will NOT protect you from asbestos fibers. Generally a respirator with an approved filter removing  99.97%  of all particles 0.3 microns or larger and is well fitted to your face is required. Contaminating, your clothes, immediate and adjacent space(s) are really really important to protect yourself and others. Use appropriate caution testing first is generally the best way to know for sure.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Just a question about the inside hot face. This is from talking about another Lazeer kiln. repair post. Is the hot face all fiber as your photos sort of shows or is some stiff  ceramic board also in the hot face-like lid or back wall? From your photo all I can see is fiber but it does not showm all the walls and lid.

Thanks

On 1/26/2024 at 7:19 AM, Mark C. said:

Just a question about the inside hot face. This is from talking about another Lazeer kiln. repair post. Is the hot face all fiber as your photos sort of shows or is some stiff  ceramic board also in the hot face-like lid or back wall? From your photo all I can see is fiber but it does not showm all the walls and lid.

Thanks

The hot face is ceramic board but they seem to be slightly recessed or pressed into the fiber. It is more evident in the interior ceiling as that is cracking under the stress of bending.