Underglaze

Joe H

I describe underglazes as being somewhere between a slip and a glaze. They melt/fuse more than a slip, but don't don't totally melt into glass like a glaze. Also, commercial underglazes can be applied at any stage of the process- wet, leather hard, bone dry, or bisque. When to apply them depends on how you're using them and the brand you're using.

Further to the technical explanation in the link, I put it like this to my group.

Underglazes (usually) don't move or mix during firing.  They sit/stand still.  When clear overglaze is applied to fired underglaze it (usually) doesn't cause the underglazes to move or mix.  And (usually) the colour is WYSIWYG.   So, underglazes are good for painterly pictures, drawing, writing.

Glazes can/will move or mix during firing, particularly on vertical surfaces. And (usually) they are not WYSIWYG.

So, if you want defined colour areas, use underglaze, if you don't mind if they mingle use glazes.  Apart from all the other options, like matt, textured, crystals.........

51 minutes ago, Chilly said:

When clear overglaze is applied to fired underglaze it (usually) doesn't cause the underglazes to move or mix.

@Joe HUsually is the key word here. Most of the time they don't, but if your clear glaze is fluid enough it can cause them to bleed a bit, which is actually a really nice effect in some cases. Black seems to be the most likely to bleed, but blues can do it as well. I personally haven't really seen it happen in other colors, but there are a lot of variables at play.