Clay hairline cracks when wedging

Skyla

Hello! I've wedged on backerboard for years and have never run into this problem. But now every time I wedge these cracks show up and I can't get rid of them no matter how much I wedge. I even thought it was the backerboard so I replaced it with a new piece. What's going on?  

You’ve ruled out your wedging surface, so that leaves a problem with the clay. If it’s fresh out of the bag, it could be that the batch you have is new clay, and it may resolve in a week or 2. If it doesn’t resolve, contact the manufacturer and see if there are any new materials being used (talc is a recent culprit). It may be a qc issue on their end. 

Frozen clay is a possible issue as well. Some clay bodies benefit from being frozen and thawed, others need to be slurry reclaimed before they can be used again. 

That leads to the last idea I have: If you’re wedging reclaim, are you making sure the fine particles from your throwing slop is going in the bucket with the trimmings and mushed pieces? 

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

How wet or dry is your clay? If it's on the dry side it could just be the water of plasticity (WOPL) is too low. Can you take a coil of clay about the thickness of your finger and wrap it around your finger without it cracking?

A photo of the cracking might help.