Wet polishing with Alpha AIR-300 pneumatic tool

Hi Everyone,

I polish my slip cast porcelain vessels by hand (instead of glazing). The process leaves the pieces silky smooth, but is VERY labor intensive.

Anyone out there ever use a pneumatic water polisher?

I am specifically interested in the Alpha AIR-300 mini polisher. It is 1.6 lbs (very light for a polishing tool) and ergonomically designed to easily maneuver in small areas like sink rims and bowls.

The only question I have about the tool is that it's meant for concave surfaces, and I'd be polishing a convex surface with compound curves. My solution might be a combination of hand polishing (for hard to reach areas) with the pneumatic tool for larger open areas.

I"d appreciate comments from anyone who has experience with this particular tool- positive or negative!

Thanks,

Jason

I'm curious, would a stationary polishing tool - where the hands are, therefore, holding the piece to be polished - be a consideration?
Perhaps a bench unit; they look like a grinder, but have more room around the driven portions...

Guessing, the polishing is done using cream/liquid and a soft pad of some sort?

Any road, ten cfm (cubic feet per minute) - supplying and using that much compressed air likely generates significant sound pressure - quality ear protection!

added: nice work!

Edited by Hulk
added

I am with @Hulk polishing compound, fixed bench polisher allows you to hold the item being polished. Pneumatic tools are great but those cfm and horsepower requirements for home use fairly significant. If you are not going for mirror finish, polishing in a blasting media cabinet with non etching media or light etching or even tumbling (rotary or vibratory) with appropriate media might be a convenient way to get the desired finish or at least close.

Edited by Bill Kielb

On 11/11/2023 at 10:23 AM, Hulk said:

I'm curious, would a stationary polishing tool - where the hands are, therefore, holding the piece to be polished - be a consideration?
Perhaps a bench unit; they look like a grinder, but have more room around the driven portions...

Guessing, the polishing is done using cream/liquid and a soft pad of some sort?

Any road, ten cfm (cubic feet per minute) - supplying and using that much compressed air likely generates significant sound pressure - quality ear protection!

added: nice work!

I use Diamond Core Tools' diamond "sandpaper" and polishing pads. The porcelain is incredibly hard, so it needs a diamond polishing agent.

I will be test a finishing cream for the final stages, it could take things to the next level!

I never thought about a bench top unit. I like how it would give me two hands to maneuver the piece. But I suspect the diameter of the belt exceeds the cleft I'd be polishing into... Perhaps there are narrow units, I will give that a look.

The air tool would require me to upgrade my compressor- that's the big expense. So I may go low tech for now and see if the right Dremel set up helps.

Thanks for your thoughts and compliment!

Jason

Hi there,

I just reread your comments and wondered if by a bench top unit you're talking about something along the lines of a buffing wheel...

I first pictured a belt sander of some sort, which I don't think would work on the curves.

But a buffing wheel, like glass artists use is definitely worth considering. The wheel has some give to it, which could work on the curves.

Thanks for this suggestion!

Jason

4 hours ago, Jason Schiedel said:

I will be looking into bench top solutions. Might be the most practical for my situation.

Thanks Bill!

Hulks example great above - also can outfit with a multitude of polishing wheels. I would not entirely dismiss vibratory polishing though. You may find a suitable finish, nearly hands free.

IMG_4159.jpeg