Oribe green

Biglou13

Hey Lou! Good to see you again!

Not sure how traditional it is from a chemistry standpoint, but this glaze does tick a number of boxes around how Oribe’s are supposed to behave. It IS fluid, and tends to go metallic if on the interior of a bowl. Wouldn’t suggest it for food surfaces, but is a lovely accent bit. The bone ash does gel the glaze somewhat, so that will affect its application. I haven’t ever tried it in an acid bath after the firing, as I’ve seen some Japanese artists do since.

Due to the age of this recipe, you may have to do some calculations to allow for material analysis shift, especially if you are buying talc new for this. Custer was also a different animal than it is now.

Carolina Oribe (ACAD shop, circa 1998 or so)

29 Custer Feldspar 

24 Silica

21 Whiting

12 EPK

7.5 Talc

1 Bone Ash

5.2 Copper Carb

On 11/3/2023 at 9:11 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Hey Lou! Good to see you again!

Not sure how traditional it is from a chemistry standpoint, but this glaze does tick a number of boxes around how Oribe’s are supposed to behave. It IS fluid, and tends to go metallic if on the interior of a bowl. Wouldn’t suggest it for food surfaces, but is a lovely accent bit. The bone ash does gel the glaze somewhat, so that will affect its application. I haven’t ever tried it in an acid bath after the firing, as I’ve seen some Japanese artists do since.

Due to the age of this recipe, you may have to do some calculations to allow for material analysis shift, especially if you are buying talc new for this. Custer was also a different animal than it is now.

Carolina Oribe (ACAD shop, circa 1998 or so)

29 Custer Feldspar 

24 Silica

21 Whiting

12 EPK

7.5 Talc

1 Bone Ash

5.2 Copper Carb

Good to be back thanks.  I have stash of some old school talc.