Salt firing in a torchbearer

Natania

Someone i know said they had done a bit of salt firing in his Olympic Torchbearer gas kiln. He coated the bricks with kiln wash. I know those kilns aren't made for this, but could one theoretically do it, perhaps coating the bricks with something a bit sturdier like ITC 100?

Kiln wash won't work but some potters say a good coat of carefully applied ITC will protect soft bricks, at least for a while, from salt. Since the burners are directly beneath the kiln, how will you load the salt?

Jim

I was thinking of drilling a few additional holes (with plugs) and tipping it in or maybe using soda and spraying (not sure if 2-3 holes would be enough for spraying). Any suggestions would be welcome. It is all theoretical at this point, but I would really like to try it.

It can be done but it will as noted always be a salt kiln and will over time ruin the kiln and shorten its life a lot. I'm not a fan of trash can kilns so I think its a great idea-You will need to coat the kiln with better things than kiln wash and use better shelves than thin mullet ones-and they will need a coating. The steel and all iron will get rusted up fast. I would as already noted spray in the salt solution as we do in our salt kiln. You will have to add some more holes on the sides to spray into.. Soft brick gets destroyed with salt if not coated well for salt firing. If you want to pursue this send me a PM message. Mark

It can be done but it will as noted always be a salt kiln and will over time ruin the kiln and shorten its life a lot. I'm not a fan of trash can kilns so I think its a great idea-You will need to coat the kiln with better things than kiln wash and use better shelves than thin mullet ones-and they will need a coating. The steel and all iron will get rusted up fast. I would as already noted spray in the salt solution as we do in our salt kiln. You will have to add some more holes on the sides to spray into.. Soft brick gets destroyed with salt if not coated well for salt firing. If you want to pursue this send me a PM message. Mark

Thank you. The torchbearer kilns are not cheap and I am a little concerned about buying a new one and then shortening its life with soda firing, but I don't have the space to build a more permanent hard brick gas or wood fired salt kiln. However, I have been itching to salt /soda fire for a long time and this might be a shortcut. I will contact you if I decide to go for it....

Thanks again!

Archived