Kiln not getting hot enough

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a used Olympic Kiln 1214-120T. It has a kiln sitter and I’ve familiarized myself with how to use the kiln, but I’m running my first cone 6 attempt and I don’t think it’s getting hot enough.  It’s been on high for about 6 hours and was slowly ramped up from low to medium over a four hour period. I have witness cones in the kiln and the middle cone isn’t bending yet. Any guesses?

Post a picture of the kiln tag but you are right in saying the newer models are only rated to cone 4 or perhaps derated a bit over the years to cone 4. For kilns that need to get to cone 6 repeatedly you will find folks buy a kiln rated to cone 10.

This may sound counter intuitive but really the maximum rating is a number something could get to at its very very best. When electric kilns fire the elements wear a little each time. So a reasonable rule of thumb is a cone 10 rated kiln will usually fire maybe 150 firings at cone 6 before it wears enough to require element replacement to make cone 6 in a reasonable timeframe (prox. 8-12 hours).  Clay and glazes depend on a maximum temperature but also a minimum speed of firing or heat work. Really not unlike baking so 350 degrees for 25 minutes to make a great pizza  would be considered appropriate but if it took hours just to reach 350 degrees our pizza would likely not be tasty in the end.

Post a picture of the kiln tag to confirm , but it likely is more suitable for low fire (cone 04) work or perhaps even built more for glass firing.

Edited by Bill Kielb

@Katie S, Rating on the kiln from the manufacturer is Cone 4. Give away for me is the 120V  with the 20 amp breaker. I would say you should be looking at a cone 4 clay body, or even a little lower, as the is the max on the kiln. 

IMHO, of course, but the specs are there. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, as it seemed you were looking for a ^6 glaze firing.

best,

Pres

23 hours ago, Katie S said:

That's really good to know, I had no idea!

I've been trying to post a photo and it won't let me - but I imagine that's exactly what the problem is.  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Make the photo smaller pixel wise-read the header on posting photos-

Here

I run mine thru my mac I photo to meduim size mail them to myself and post from there-PC is another animal. They are to big most times so make them smaller

Edited by Mark C.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:04 PM, Pres said:

@Katie S, Rating on the kiln from the manufacturer is Cone 4. Give away for me is the 120V  with the 20 amp breaker. I would say you should be looking at a cone 4 clay body, or even a little lower, as the is the max on the kiln. 

IMHO, of course, but the specs are there. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, as it seemed you were looking for a ^6 glaze firing.

best,

Pres

I have an older version of this kiln from 1990 and the panel on the outside of the kiln says it's cone 6.  I actually emailed olympic and they said that they changed it to cone 4 since it was more reliable.  Makes sense!