Packing and shipping questions

Hi there, I am setting up a website. I am a sculptor and my pieces can be as tall as 22" and have fragile small protrusions like hair tendrils or tails for example.  Are there sources for packing techniques? I am wondering if I should just start out local and be willing to drive up to an hour or so to deliver a piece. Of course, if someone from a distance really wants a piece they can pay for the shipping. But the packing is still a question.  I have statues and busts that weigh 15- 20 pounds.  I have seen one packing technique in a recent issue of CAD but I didn't think it was that secure. Anyway, any ideas are welcome

IMHO, i think starting local is the best plan. Starting local and building a rep will let you slide into the wider radius of shipping. Often a gallery situation for a show will have resources to help you with transport of pieces especially if you have built a reputation for fine work. Shipping takes a lot of work, and unless the purchase is paying for the shipping the shipping costs of packing, mailing and time should be figured into the sale price even if in a separate category in the billing.  Best of luck, and Welcome to the Forum!

best,

Pres

Thanks so much. I am going to do that. I just got into a my first juried show. I am an art therapist in private practice. Selling my work felt like  a second job but now I am going half time as I hit 66 to pursue sculping and playing with clay more. If I make some money at it, that would be nice too.  Start simple , thanks again.

I used to be an Art teacher, but really got hung up on clay even though I usually taught 2-4 classes a day depending on enrollments. Started using shows to fund summer vacations, then when the wife said no more to me working til 2 and teaching to have enough stock, I quit the shows. However, now I have enough in the way of sales to keep the hobby going and equipment up to date. Keeps me limber and in shape too.

best,

Pres

The current Ceramics Monthly shbow how to pack work like yours.

The idea is build a open frame with a floor connect your work to floor -then put frame in a box with the padding on the outside od frame so its not touching the work-but keeps the frame protected. Work gets shipped likke this all over the world . its a pain but doable. Use Pirate ship .com  to save $$$they have the best UPS rates period.