What kind of kiln is this?

Can anyone help me identify this old kiln that I just acquired? The label is missing, and I don't know anything about it, such as the manufacturer, model number, amps, volts, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated, so I can research it and find an instruction manual. Thanks!

image.jpeg

20230502_151040 - Copy resized to 10 percent.jpg

20230502_151246 - Copy resized to 10 percent.jpg

20230502_151626 - Copy resized to 10 percent.jpg

What do the tags on the front say- the one above the dial and the one in the corner?

It's the same shape as the old Amaco kilns, but the rest of it doesn't look right for Amaco. The dial on the front looks like a Cress dial. Send the pics to Cress and see what they say.

Without info from the manufacturer, there's no definitive way to know if it's set up to run on 208 or 240 volts. The good news is that a lot of these old square kilns were made to run on either voltage. To determine the amperage draw of the kiln, you'll first have to determine if all the elements are free of breaks. The best way to do that wold be to open the control box and test them with a meter. From there you can test the resistance of the elements and math out the amperage draw. We can then compare that number to other kilns of that style to see if the elements will have enough power to do the job. We'll also need to figure out if it's set up to run on a 3 wire or 4 wire circuit. There's a very good chance that the power cord is not appropriate for the kiln.

Neil, thank you! I'm sending photos to Cress, to see what they say. I attached a few more photos here, including the dial, kiln sitter, and anything with words, in case they might be a clue. Let me know if there's anything else you can tell me from the photos.  I'm going to see if my boyfriend can help me out with testing the elements to get the amperage, and checking on the 3 or 4 wire circuit. I'll get back to you on that. Much appreciated!

20230503_115617 - Copy resized to 20 percent.jpg

20230503_115629 - Copy resized to 20 percent.jpg

20230503_115651 - Copy resized to 20 percent.jpg

20230503_115737 - Copy resized to 20 percent.jpg

Yep, Cress 328J. They don't have any info on their website, though. No wiring diagrams. I found a couple of old online listings for it and they said it pulls 25amps. If that's true, it will need to be on a 35 or 40 amp breaker, and you'll need to install a new power cord and plug that can handle at least that much amperage. Call Cress and see if they can give you more info.

If you plan to glaze fire at cone 5/6, this is not a good kiln for you. Since it maxes out at cone 6 (according to the label), it will only get to that temp if the elements are in perfect condition, which is only about 30 firings.

The response from Cress Mfg was disappointing to say the least, the rep simply said that he "didn't recognize the kiln". That took no effort to help at all! Even I can see it's a Cress model by looking at pictures online. Poor service from the "Info" guy! So thank you, Neil for directing me to Cress, at least it's a place to start. Now I'm trying to figure out what model it is. I'm thinking C series (similar to C-11-H)? But I'm not finding too much info online, to figure it out for sure. And I'm not coming across any old manuals.

If you know how to pinpoint the model and find a manual, please let me know. Do you think the photo in the link below, for model C-11-H, is close enough to mine, that I can use the same manual?

https://offerup.com/item/detail/3199927

This one looks closer to mine, but the inside dimensions are 16x16x16, whereas mine is 11x11x11, not sure what model it is:

https://www.shoppok.com/redding/a,42,86815,Cress-High-fire-electric-kiln-Cone6----350--Redding-.htm

Thank you, Neil, I just read your response. I appreciate the info. I do plan on firing at cone 6. Food for thought... 

Babs, the kiln was given to me free. I do plan on testing for lead. I would be placing it in my basement workshop area that has a concrete floor, with a door and window on either side of it for ventilation. Thank you for the tips, if I can at least use it for bisque firing, that would be good.

Edited by Joanne C

Used  a similar kiln (Amaco) to this at the HS when I first started teaching in '73. It was a good little kiln of 06 earthenware. Two years later I talked the district into a new kiln as part of a building project the meant a new studio with more equipment and a kiln area. The new kiln was chosen by me to fire to ^6 and was an octagon sectional. The old kiln I saved for a few years, and used it for electric raku outside. We stored it just inside a doorway leading to a center courtyard. The kiln held up well for 3 years of this, but that was it.  I could not imagine it firing to ^6 on a regular basis, but ^06 was fine.

best,

Pres

• 5 months later...

This looks similar to one my wife and I just bought. Trying to find info hasn't been helpful, but I have learned that JJ Cress Company was a kiln manufacturer that appears to have turned into the current Cress company in the early 70s. JJ Cress Company opened in the late 50s. Can't find much more info on that other than if you found the serial number the first two digits of that are the manufacturing year, so mine would have been made in '69