Local Kiln for Sale. Is this a good price?

I need help determining if these used kilns are worth the price!

The first one is a Skutt LT-3K - model 1027. It comes with one shelf and a couple of bricks. This one is going for $1,200. Looks to be in good condition, told it fires perfect. 

The second one is $1,500 and is a Skutt Ceramic Kiln KS-818WR, Cone 10. This one comes with bricks, peep holes, and  cones. Looks to be in great condition, fires perfectly.

My question is, which is a better deal? I want to say the $1500 because it comes with some many things, but it looks like it's on the smaller end. I usually fire about 10 mugs, 5 bowls, and a couple of vases. All under about 5-6 inches. I am scared it may be too small. But, the 1027 is what I am used to firing at the studio. 

Another question, it looks like they both have manual kiln sitters. Is it possible to change it to the digital display? Like this here -- https://www.theceramicshop.com/product/18270/km-1027-kiln-240v-1p/ 

I only fire at a studio and every kiln has a little display pad where you can change the cone, temp, speed etc so I've never really worked with a manual one before. 

Thoughts and advice needed!!

Thanks, 

2 yr potter. 

Edited by Earth Bender

I would get the larger kiln. 8 sided kilns are fairly limiting in what you can fit in them.

You can get a wall mounted digital controller from Skutt or others, which basically turns your kiln into a digital kiln. You'll still have to turn on the Sitter, but the firing will be controlled by the digital system. They're not cheap, but you'll still be saving about $1500 vs the cost of a brand new kiln.

With a used kiln, make sure the bricks are in good condition- only small chips, no large breaks. Also check the lid and floor for cracks that go all the way through. Hairline cracks are normal. Also, if the bricks are very yellow in color then that's a sign that they've been fired a lot and are near the end of their life. White/cream colored bricks are what you want.

21 minutes ago, Earth Bender said:

@neilestrick thank you so much! What is too old? Something that's been used 5 years? 10? 

It all depends on how much it's been fired. I've got a 40 year old kiln in my studio that's never been fired, and I have a 13 year old kiln that's been fired more than 2200 times. The kiln in your photos looks great, assuming the lid and floor slabs are not cracked.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2023 at 3:45 PM, neilestrick said:

It all depends on how much it's been fired. I've got a 40 year old kiln in my studio that's never been fired, and I have a 13 year old kiln that's been fired more than 2200 times. The kiln in your photos looks great, assuming the lid and floor slabs are not cracked.

Something that is reassuring, as well, in the photos, is that all of the elements are still seated in the grooves. As the elements and kiln ages, without proper maintenance, it’s possible for the elements to sag out of their placements. This usually won’t cause any issues, unless the element breaks, but it’s another helpful tip in determining kiln age/use/life-left.

1 hour ago, MmThomp said:

Something that is reassuring, as well, in the photos, is that all of the elements are still seated in the grooves. As the elements and kiln ages, without proper maintenance, it’s possible for the elements to sag out of their placements. This usually won’t cause any issues, unless the element breaks, but it’s another helpful tip in determining kiln age/use/life-left.

I rarely look at elements when determining the condition of the kiln because they need to be  replaced regularly anyway. If they need to be replaced immediately then that can be used to negotiate down the price, but an element can sag on its first firing if it's not seated properly, so you can't use that to determine age. Brick condition is really the key to determining the age and condition of a kiln. The more a kiln is fired, the more yellow and brittle the bricks become. And if they're all chipped up and you need to replace a bunch of them, that gets expensive pretty quickly, and can be very difficult to do in a lot of the older kilns. Lid and floor slabs are very expensive to replace, so those have to be in good condition.