Problems with Mayco SW glazes

Good morning all,

I am having consistent issues with Mayco SW colours; I love them but I can't seem to fire them right.

I have been using them on white stoneware (firing temp 1240ºC-1300ºC). I have applied one, two and three coats for testing and fired up to 1250 slowly and with a 30 min period at the end. I have an electric Kiln (rohde ecotop) that seems to work just perfectly.

I know I am doing somthing wrong but can't guess what; all my test tiles and pieces turn brown, I am not able to make the colours pop :(

The colors on the tiles are stoned denim and lavender, and the castle is tyger's eye

If anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated, I am totally lost!

thank ou all for your time,

photo_2023-02-27_16-09-27.jpg

photo_2023-02-27_16-09-32.jpg

If I read the Mayco literature it seems to say cone 10 performance may be noted on the bottle. Also as I go through the website and chips they seem to be noted as fired cone 6 oxidation. Cones definitely would help. A 30 minute soak at the end likely drives things to the next one or two cones higher. Check the labels on the bottle for special notes on cone 10 firing.

19 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

If I read the Mayco literature it seems to say cone 10 performance may be noted on the bottle. Also as I go through the website and chips they seem to be noted as fired cone 6 oxidation. Cones definitely would help. A 30 minute soak at the end likely drives things to the next one or two cones higher. Check the labels on the bottle for special notes on cone 10 firing.

Thank you Bill, I was not aware that the soak at the end would rise the cones (I'm quite new to this), so thank you. I was firing at cone 6 so I should still be in the 6 to 10 range like Mayco recommends. I will fire with cones next time to make sure the kiln reaches the correct temperature thanks!

I was getting so frustrated because everyone says the glazes are so easy to use and provide consistent results :S

best regards from Spain

1 hour ago, Roberta12 said:

@Chilly asked a great question.  They do look underfired.  On the Mayco site they do recommend a thick application. Perhaps thicker is better with these glazes?

Roberta

Hi Roberta, I believe the thicker the better yes, probably I am using too little glaze, maybe combined with the fact that I did not use cones so I can not confirm temperature it gives me an idea of both the problems :)

Thanks!