Making Donut Form for Totem

Hello!

I am looking to make a totem and I looked online on how to make a donut shape for the totem. I don't want to throw one, as those looked complicated and finicky and I like to handbuild more anyway. Does anyone know how to make a donut shape? I'm trying to figure out if I have to drape it and what to use for that.

If anyone would share, I would be very grateful. 

Thank you,

Nancy

You could do it a couple of ways. Start with a flexible form like a pool noodle and form it into a circle. Drape clay over this to create 2 circular pieces that you can connect into a hollow shape. Think about how you cut a bagel in half, but instead of cutting it apart, you’re attaching the pieces at a firm leather hard stage. 

Another approach would be if you have an extruder and have a die that will create a hollow tube. Extrude your tube longer than you’d want the circumference of your doughnut to be. Seal the ends, trapping air inside. Curve the tube into a circular shape, and allow to stiffen enough that the tube won’t collapse when opened. Cut the ends on a diagonal to give you more attaching surface, and slip and score away. 

You could also try dowel rolling a tube, but that gets a lot tricker the bigger the piece is.

9 hours ago, nancylee said:

I don't want to throw one, as those looked complicated and finicky and I like to handbuild more anyway

IMHO if you already have  a moderate level of throwing skill  I think it would be much easier to throw than handbuild. If you do try and throw one keep your walls from getting too thin at the top where they will be curved into each other.

6 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

You could do it a couple of ways. Start with a flexible form like a pool noodle and form it into a circle. Drape clay over this to create 2 circular pieces that you can connect into a hollow shape. Think about how you cut a bagel in half, but instead of cutting it apart, you’re attaching the pieces at a firm leather hard stage. 

Another approach would be if you have an extruder and have a die that will create a hollow tube. Extrude your tube longer than you’d want the circumference of your doughnut to be. Seal the ends, trapping air inside. Curve the tube into a circular shape, and allow to stiffen enough that the tube won’t collapse when opened. Cut the ends on a diagonal to give you more attaching surface, and slip and score away. 

You could also try dowel rolling a tube, but that gets a lot tricker the bigger the piece is.

Thank you!! I think the pool noodle would be the right size. I have an extruder but I don't think the hollow die I have it big enough.

I appreciate your help!

Nancy

18 minutes ago, Min said:

IMHO if you already have  a moderate level of throwing skill  I think it would be much easier to throw than handbuild. If you do try and throw one keep your walls from getting too thin at the top where they will be curved into each other.

I'll look again, but it looked complicated. I'm an ok throw-er, but I am not that skilled!

Thank you,

Nancy