Kilns and Furnaces FL80 firing issue

MartinC

3 minutes ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

Think I got the wiring slightly wrong so here's my updated version. Neutrals were in the wrong place and not all connected to L1 which was confusing me.

Sedgefield Pottery is pretty close to Durham I think.

Yes, it's Bill from Sedgefield I know. He's actually retired and his assistant now runs the supplies side from Darlington. Bill still does repairs though.

The door interlock is just a safety switch and not a relay. Just there so you can't send power to the kiln while the door is open.

When it fails can you hear if the small click is coming from the controller or from the main relay/contactor. Whats confusing me is you say it can also fail when trying to start a firing and not hot.

For example. I set the kiln to come on Thursday night. The kiln didn't start (not the first time it has happened). I started it Friday morning and it started fine. It got to about 1000 and then stopped firing. The common failure is it gets hot then just stops. 

When it stopped firing when it got hot I could hear a quiet click. I have two controllers, both electronic so assume they don't have any moving parts to "click", and the fault was the same with both . It was not the heavy clunk of the contactor but something fainter. Perhaps it was the contactor making a different noise but I can't be sure. My wife was with the kiln on Friday and said she could hear any clicking. 

I looked inside the door switch (attached) and it looks fine.

When I changed the contactor I got about 3-4 firings before the error started again. Honestly, I'm perplexed. (Having said that, I swore the quiet clicking was coming from the controller but that cannot be the case, surely?)

IMG_2168.jpeg

Edited by MartinC

I’ll be darned, nice relay! I see it’s rotary so one can always check if it is cycling by watching the rotation of the shaft. It can also be cycled manually from above with the right hex socket or needle nose players. The contacts look great, we don’t know what the drive coil looks like though. If this is a pilot relay it operates the large relay. One other thing to consider is your control likely has its own onboard relay that would drive this. Any and all those relays if intermittent likely would be affected by heat. If this is truly the pilot that drives the large relay, manually setting this to on briefly after the kiln stops cycling will narrow down the culprit a bit.

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Following from the post above from High Bridge Pottery, the door key slots into this and turns the rotor, closing the contacts. I assumed, therefore, that this was then just a door safety switch. How does it work, if it is a relay?

In basic terms, any sort of switch that can be cycled on and off is a relay. In this situation it's not a pilot relay because it's not cycling every time the main relay does. It's just a safety switch. It stays on as long as the door is closed. It is possible that it is failing when the kiln gets hot, but you'd need to test it when the failure occurs.

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

What about this mystery box that is wired from the controller and to the contactor?

Is that the thermocouple wire connected to it as well as the power wires? I'm thinking it's the brains of the controller. Maybe it has the transformer in it, too. Does the keypad have a circuit board attached to it?

3 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Is that the thermocouple wire connected to it as well as the power wires? I'm thinking it's the brains of the controller. Maybe it has the transformer in it, too. Does the keypad have a circuit board attached to it?

No keypad, external controller

5 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Is that the controller or perhaps a high limit? Just curious what is on the front of that. It is powered and has its own internal relay.

The front is visible on the front of the kiln. It has a red light that comes on when the kiln is firing. It looks as though this box is what receives the signal from the controller and then transmits to the contactor to open/close. If the door switch is just that (for safety) then this could be the source of the problem. It will be old and although not drawing a lot of power, might be sensitive to the ambient heat of the kiln (or maybe even the cold when kiln won't start at night). It will need testing when the kiln fails

If the safety switch was going bad the controller should be turning on and off I think. When you disconnect the interlock does it power down the controller?

That black box looks a familiar shape to something I have seen before to control kilns, I can't remember how it worked though. I am guessing that's where the soft click is coming from which means it should be sending 240v to the contactor coil to close it and that isn't happening. Hard to know without being their when it fails. 

44 minutes ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

If the safety switch was going bad the controller should be turning on and off I think. When you disconnect the interlock does it power down the controller?

That black box looks a familiar shape to something I have seen before to control kilns, I can't remember how it worked though. I am guessing that's where the soft click is coming from which means it should be sending 240v to the contactor coil to close it and that isn't happening. Hard to know without being their when it fails. 

Yes, the door switch is operating as needed. Opening the switch turns off the controller.  Plus, it is a Stafford controller which restarts in case of a disruption to power so that isn't the problem as the controller is still on when the kiln fails. 

The black box looks like it might be bespoke to the kiln brand hence no part number for a third party supplier. 

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Yes, the door switch is operating as needed. Opening the switch turns off the controller.  Plus, it is a Stafford controller which restarts in case of a disruption to power so that isn't the problem as the controller is still on when the kiln fails. 

The only reason I brought it up was because I feel if the door interlock was faulty then the controller would also be having issues and as that is not happening I feel you can rule that out even with it being old.

If it is an intermittent high limit, you can jump the yellow and red for a supervised firing test. The thermocouple to that thing appears to be pretty small gauge as if it is only for use by that safety.  ….. if it is a safety. Can you see where that thermocouple terminates? What temperature is it sensing?

Edited by Bill Kielb

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

Do the wires coming out of the block box go to the control terminals of the main contactor, or are they load wires- if it is indeed a high limit shutoff, is it shutting off the control wires or the power wires?

I would think the normally open yellow wire is the one going into the coil on the left and the brown is coming from the far left pole on the main bit. Not sure which blue is going there from the right side of the coil or where the red is coming from. I guess the black wires are going to a tungsten indicator bulb somewhere. It's a strange box as there doesn't seem to be a wire coming from the controller to that box to make it do anything. Maybe that plugs in another way.

Thinking about it again the brown coming from the main contactor makes no sense as then the power would only flow when the coil is on.

weirdcontroller.jpeg.874a85a99676eba03578a2f56b8a6ff3.jpeg

Edited by High Bridge Pottery