Burnt out element connector

cadenrank

Yesterday when I went to start a glaze firing, I was greeted with a nice little firework show from inside the control box of my kiln. I stopped the kiln, and identified a connector that was heavily corroded, and the remaining feeder wire basically welded inside the connector, and the wire itself broken off, free to arc to the jacket. 

I have some spare crimp on connectors, but these connectors have a small piece of metal in the middle, which only allows you to crimp past a certain length from the middle on each ends. (Which is why I never used these in the original install). I don't have enough element length left to crimp this style of connector on. 

A thought I had was to use a high temp ring terminal (900f rated) crimped onto the element, then crimped onto the wire, then use a screw, nut and washers to smash them together, but I'm not sure how good of an idea this is. My idea is that people use the ring connectors at that point too, but not attached directly to the element so I'm curious if this would work. 

I need to replace elements soon anyways, but the thought of crimping it (or anything) and then it not working or lasting until then pretty much leaves no ability to replace without cutting all of the remaining element off. 

I tried to use the screw, nut and washers to sandwich onto the end of the element like it was when I got the kiln,  but there isn't enough to hold securely, and there's definitely not enough to make a loop. 

I know it'd be better to wait until I can get a new one of my preferred connector (the screw down types), but unfortunately that's not a fast process.

Any ideas?

10 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Can you post a picture of the connection? That will help us see exactly what we have to work with.

You mean just the element side? It's just about less than a quarter of an inch outside the insulator. I have extra feeder wire. The burnt out connector is one of these types: 
Element Connectors

And unfortunately I don't have any extras. And the burnt out one is heavily discolored, and full of some welded wire in the bottom of it now. The element pigtail itself still looks fine, just the connector and end of that feeder wire were toast.

I can crimp a ring terminal on the element and make a good connection, with a ring terminal on the feeder as well, then a nut, bolt and washers to connect the two. I'm just not sure if the ring terminal on the element pigtail (900f rated, for reference) is a good option or not. 

These are the only terminals I do have excess of, but that little bump of metal in the middle makes it so I can't crimp my crimping tool onto it with the element inside of it. It won't let me get close enough to the kiln to crimp it down right, and crimp it down on the element too. 
Element Butt Connector

also I just hate this type of connector. I probably only have a month or two of firings left on these elements anyways, but just trying to make them last. 

Edited by cadenrank

I like the euclids two screw barrel type

see if they will work for you. I keep a stock of them when needed.

https://euclids.com/collections/connectors-lead-outs

One trick I have used when trying to reuse the  element with a crimp connector on it is to grind off that connector with a small angle grinder so as not to shorten the pigtail on the element at all . If you go slow and then use some sharp electrical dikes it pretty easy to leave the elenment pig tail full length.

I have replaced all cramp connectors with the Euclid barrel type as they work so much better. If you need a small one (I see thay are out now-I can mail you one) Or I can measure to the screw and see if it will grab tor pig tail (1/4 inch you say) Let me know via a PM.

We are in a huge wind storm  right now and the power is out (not for us - as we have a generator) Bomb wet cyclone is bearing down on us this am.Been wild with two large earthquakes  (one on new years the other Dec 20th) and this is our second atmospheric river to hit us in a few days.I am slowing finding earthquake stuff (no real damage yet)

Edited by Mark C.

I like the screw type connectors too. All of the others in this kiln are fine, but this one is definitely not reusable. The Euclid one's are high on my list for replacements for next element change. I was hoping to find a solution that I had on hand to make the repair to fire today. 

I appreciate your offer, though. I have enough to fit into the barrel connector I have, as well as plenty to fit into another type of screw connector, I just can't crimp the barrel connector because the type I have won't crimp within the space I have, and I don't have any spare screw type connectors on hand. 

Wow, glad to hear you haven't had any major damage so far! Stay safe. 

Done. Kiln is running. Gonna keep a close eye on it, but pulling normal amperage again, resistance measurement was the same as the other elements. The ring terminal to ring terminal and bolt connection feels more secure to me than most other connector type connections I've seen. Makes me want to think about going back to the element loop and bolt/washers and ring terminal design the kiln originally had when I got it. I never had any second guesses about security with that type. 

Firing went smoothly. Periodic peeks at that connection didn't show any heat or anything. 

The only thing I didn't like about it was having to make the loops in the element pigtail. But, I remember always feeling confident that it was tight once it was done. I believe they are brass hardware original with the kiln, and I saved them (which is what I used in this case) before I switched over to the screw type terminals. I like those too, but the bolt and washers just feels so much more secured.