images for show application

I know this topic was mentioned in previous posts, but I am having trouble resizing images to an exact measurement. I have done some image resizing, but the show I want to apply to specifies "4x6" "JPEG"  images "between 72 and 150 px" and I don't know how to make ALL of that happen! Any advice or reference to a previous post, would be greatly appreciated!

I think it may depend on which photo editing program you are using, and wheter via a camera or a smart phone. I have a simple PC free prog. that all I have to do is set the pixels not to exceed the parameters required and it comes out OK--but I know next to nothing, actually, and maybe I am just lucking out. If your shots are .png, be sure to save them as .jpg.

The language they gave you leaves a lot to be desired, in terms of clarity. 

“between 72 and 150 px” refers to “pixels per inch.” For a 4x6 inch image at 150 pixels per inch, resize your image to be 600 x 900 pixels. 

JPEG is the default file format for most digital cameras, so chances are you don’t need to change anything there. 

Photoshop is the most popular image editing software. The language they used sounds like they expect everyone to have it. But it’s not feasible for many people (very expensive and steep learning curve). If you have a Mac you can use Preview which comes for free on a Mac. I often use a free app called Image Size on my iPad which will do the resizing too. 

1 hour ago, GEP said:

The language they gave you leaves a lot to be desired, in terms of clarity. 

“between 72 and 150 px” refers to “pixels per inch.” For a 4x6 inch image at 150 pixels per inch, resize your image to be 600 x 900 pixels. 

JPEG is the default file format for most digital cameras, so chances are you don’t need to change anything there. 

Photoshop is the most popular image editing software. The language they used sounds like they expect everyone to have it. But it’s not feasible for many people (very expensive and steep learning curve). If you have a Mac you can use Preview which comes for free on a Mac. I often use a free app called Image Size on my iPad which will do the resizing too. 

Thank you! I feel better that their requirements weren't clear to someone with more experience. The 4x6 threw me off, but setting the pixels at 600x900 max is very helpful. I save my images in JPEG so I think I should be ok then. I use Windows and will look for a good free app.  I really appreciate the sharing of knowledge here!

Another trick for accessing Adobe products (Lightroom will also resize images I believe)  is to just subscribe for the free month and then cancel when you’re done. If you have trouble remembering to cancel subscriptions like this, use a visa gift card number that has a zero balance  where they ask you to enter your credit card info. When they go to process the transaction in a month’s time, you’ll get a notification to update your payment info, and you can cancel or subscribe.