any alternatives to CMW (Ceramic Material Workshop)

KID-IN-CLAY

link to CMW https://www.ceramicmaterialsworkshop.com

Essentially I tried one of the corses while covid was going on (understanding glazes) and while I enjoyed the information and really learned quite a lot, I found my self realizing it was more of a packaging justifying the price situation. for some time ive been searching for alternatives as Id like to learn more about glaze chemistry without having to pay a heavy prices on a time limited information package. Ive already gotten a 2 glaze books recipes around the mid cone range and have been looking into digital fire along with glazy.org ... thank you guys for any advice or knowledge you can share :D 

If it helps I really liked the course and the 4 months time limit was more than time to get through the lesson but  I chose to finish it like any college course, watch and take notes during the lectures. Re-watch, screen shot  - add to my notes as needed.

Sue McLeod was a student of Katz at one time and offers similar teaching but also many free handouts.  https://suemcleodceramics.com/theartofglazechemistry/ I mention because in addition to presenting glazes by composition, RT Stull plays an important part of both classes. . Sue includes Stull, so similar teaching. Stull was not super common but his work definitely adds to understanding chemistry IMO . Sues courses are more from the perspective of a studio technician I believe, so solving glaze problems that are common…… and I believe she provides a limited lifetime of access. 

I can say that if you finished the CMW lectures and understood them fully you are likely in a better position than just learning specific cause and effect knowledge. At the beginning of that class you should have developed a solid understanding of UMF which should prove useful for a long time.

Edited by Bill Kielb

8 hours ago, KID-IN-CLAY said:

link to CMW https://www.ceramicmaterialsworkshop.com

Essentially I tried one of the corses while covid was going on (understanding glazes) and while I enjoyed the information and really learned quite a lot, I found my self realizing it was more of a packaging justifying the price situation. for some time ive been searching for alternatives as Id like to learn more about glaze chemistry without having to pay a heavy prices on a time limited information package. Ive already gotten a 2 glaze books recipes around the mid cone range and have been looking into digital fire along with glazy.org ... thank you guys for any advice or knowledge you can share :D 

John Britt has free online videos in Youtube.

Excellent teacher.

There's a lot to be mined in the archives of this Forum.

There are books; I found Susan Peterson's The Craft and Art of Clay most helpful in getting an understanding of unity, and for overview of and reference for materials.

Tony Hansen's website, Digitalfire.com, is a wealth of info, a treasure, aye. Try perusing the Articles, under "Others" ...and just keep browsing!

Those three sources have been the main ones for my ongoing glaze education.
There've been other books, articles, sites, etc., however, those three stand out.
From there, choose carefully**, then trials and tests. Keep detailed notes.

*...and magazines, where books are typically more comprehensive, and magazines articles focused, limited scope

**recipes from reputable sources, especially where they include usage notes, tips, and test results

Edited by Hulk
where for when