Replacing 2.5" bricks with 3"?

tkw954

I'm considering a brick rebuild on a Skutt 181 (8 sided) kiln.  It has some worn bricks at the top level that leave a gap under the lid and struggles to reach cone 6.  Also a number of the element bricks have broken grooves so the elements sag.

I figure I'd need to replace about half the bricks and was wondering if it would be reasonable to take all the good used 2.5" bricks and put them in the upper half's metal band and then buy new 3" bricks and use them for the separate bottom half band.  I realize this will decrease the inside dimension of the bottom half, but I have shelves that will fit. Is there any reason why I can't have different bricks on the top and bottom?

You need to contact Skutt for the exact dimensions of the brick and advice. Some manufacturers (e.g., L&L) kept the outside dimension of the metal band the same, but the inner dimension (and kiln volume) is smaller by 1" (1/2" on each side) for the extra thickness of the brick. Others (e.g., Skutt I believe, but their website no longer shows anything with 2 1/2" brick to make a comparison) kept the inner dimension (and kiln volume) the same by using a longer metal band for the thicker bricks. If my recollection is correct, new 3" bricks will not fit in the band designed for 2 1/2" bricks.

In addition to the potential band issue, if the outer dimensions are not the same then your control boxes are not going to line up properly. I also think it's going to affect how the kiln heats. If you had zone control it wouldn't be an issue, but with just one thermocouple the 2 1/2" section is likely to run colder than the 3" section. Plus the overall energy savings would be minimal since the lid and floor would still be 2 1/2" brick.

What does it say on the serial plate for the max temp rating of the kiln? If I remember correctly, the 181 is only rated to about cone 5/6, which is the biggest reason it's struggling to reach cone 6. You're maxing it out, and you're not going to get very many firings before it won't reach cone 6 at all, like maybe only 30 firings.