Soda without soda

Michpotter

Closest I have seen is Ryan Coppage's electric fired wood ash glazes. Not soda but there is a bit of flashing. Link here to an article from him, it's behind a paywall but you can see 3 pages a month for free. Image from that page below, cone 6 oxidation.

Welcome to the forum.

image.png.3f860f0bd081f764d85ea28721e85350.png

Edited by Min

• 1 month later...

You can definitely get some body flashing with wood-ash in electric kilns. I did it for a bit, as an experiment to see what all I could get out of unwashed ash from my fireplace mixed in with various components to make sure it melts at cone 6. It helps with shells for sure to add to it. That being said it isn't anything random or magical like a firing with an atmosphere. The only interesting results you are going to get are ones that you create manually via your glazing process.

This can seem like a downer at first, but if you are careful with your application and research you can achieve interesting results that are repeatable. So maybe to the potter it isn't as great of a pot, but to others it can be just as magical.

u57yLWC.jpg\

DgkCt1J.jpg

9QWR9Ne.jpg

EZfoM8q.jpg

All of these are cone 6 electric fired, you can see subtle flashing around the bases where wood ash glazes end. I would just start experimenting with seashells as the first flashing opportunity. They are easy to acquire, work well, and don't need any special treatment besides placing them on a pot.

Oh I found photos of my test tiles previous to this work that show the flashing better:

ZEjYBCe.jpg

bK31RLs.jpg

9Qm6h9C.jpg

Edited by Joseph Fireborn