Dragging in kiln when firing circular items

Hi guys,

Im making this mirror frame out of heavily grogged clay there are 6 of the ‘braces’inside (see photo) Someone mentioned dragging as it shrinks whilst firing- any thoughts? I can make setters or a giant ‘plate’ out of the same clay to go in the firing? Its about 18inches in diameter 

any advice would be appreciated

thanks so much

stef

03964CEC-1390-49C2-AE1C-EDD3444ABA22.jpeg

my thought-
This would be a candidate for a cookie or waster underneath for me and alumina at the intersection of all junctions so nothing binds as it shrinks, above and below the cookie. Setting this on paper towels or newspaper as it dries definitely let’s it shrink nicely as it dries as well. Fire on a nice flat straight shelf.

Edited by Bill Kielb

2 hours ago, oldlady said:

love the tool holders at the edges.   why "heavily grogged" clay?   i would use just a layer of grog on a totally flat shelf.   remember, if the clay warps into a crooked shelf it will not be flat enough for the glass.

The clay body i like to use for hand building is ‘heavily grogged’  A layer of grog sounds like a good idea/  I thought grogs were only used in the clay body and didn’t know they could be used like this? I suppose its like gravel and it will ‘move’ in the kiln ? Would you know what mesh would work best? 

15 hours ago, steff p said:

Hi guys,

Im making this mirror frame out of heavily grogged clay there are 6 of the ‘braces’inside (see photo) Someone mentioned dragging as it shrinks whilst firing- any thoughts? I can make setters or a giant ‘plate’ out of the same clay to go in the firing? Its about 18inches in diameter 

any advice would be appreciated

thanks so much

stef

03964CEC-1390-49C2-AE1C-EDD3444ABA22.jpeg

@bciskepottery i saw you replied to a similar post to this and mentioned grog as one solution and coils as another - can you elaborate on the coil method? Eg where they would sit and how many? thanks 

11 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

my thought-
This would be a candidate for a cookie or waster underneath for me and alumina at the intersection of all junctions so nothing binds as it shrinks, above and below the cookie. Setting this on paper towels or newspaper as it dries definitely let’s it shrink nicely as it dries as well. Fire on a nice flat straight shelf.

Hi there, me again- can you just use alumina on its own or would you definitely use a waster? 

thanks