China Painting base recipes and starting points

Jeanette

I would like to start coming together to build resources for china painting and on-glaze recipes.  I am finding the chemistry is well guarded and am very worried soon to be lost to time.  There are very few distributors any longer and it is time to work from back to forward and come up with resources again.  Sometimes allowing production to be controlled by the companies means a loss of knowledge for us all to move forward I hope we can find some help together and bring back a phenomenal art in new forma.

Just in case you haven't seen them already, Paul Lewing article here, (link should work, let me know if it doesn't). Another Lewing article on brushes here. He has also done a CLAYfliks video, that is behind a paywall but snippet below. Video covers basic concepts, surfaces to paint, tools and mediums, some examples of working etc.

a298c0c94a746f69778c734f8a2a92e6584ff3c1.jpg?image_play_button_size=2x&image_crop_resized=640x356&image_play_button=1&image_play_button_color=f1654ce0

New Directions in China Painting with Paul Lewing

Welcome to the forum!

7 hours ago, Kelly in AK said:

Lewing’s book, China Paint and Overglaze, 2007, is also available to check out on the Internet Archive (a legitimate library, you have sign up/in and can check out books digitally). 

https://archive.org/details/chinapaintovergl0000lewi/mode/1up

Looks like a nice book.

A few sample pages available on amazon: https://tinyurl.com/mvayyb3f

It looks like even 2nd hand copies are fairly pricey (change search to your location & currency):
https://tinyurl.com/mr2wr7be

• 10 months later...

Good info, thank you for sharing.  Being relatively new to over glazes and having found so very little online to assist me, I've had to dive in and simply use trial and error.  I've been doing under glazing for years but the past three years or so I have added china painting and enamels to my work for color adjustments.  I find I'm using it more and more.  But I have had to wing a lot of it and ask my fellow artists directly for tips who have used over glazes longer than I. 

Speaking recently with the owner of one of the two largest china painting companies in the USA, she sadly informed me that sales are way down and she was gladly giving people like me free samples to try.  She predicted that china painting would be a dead art form in the USA within ten years or less.  Our 'Baby Boomers' are dying off and no one is taking their place to continue with over glazes.  Partly due to the fact that the techniques and information to get started is so closely guarded that new painters have a terrible time getting started.  There are some workshops out there and a few books but as mentioned, they are far and few between and pricy.  

I need to make more blog posts of my own on the techniques and materials I am using.  What little I know is still very useful for others to get started with and from there they can at least do a lot of test tiles and forge their own way if need be - as long as we can still get the materials in the coming years.  How I am using china paints however is far from the more usual traditional methods, I imagine.  Not having any instruction in their use I'm finding my own way and what works for me with horse sculpture rather than dishware.

For example, I have been having a lot of issues with reds and red-browns.  I get lovely golden browns but getting nice red tints on my equine pieces is a huge PITA.  So I find out I was mixing incompatible pigments that cause each other to burn out the colors.  This document I found online should aid me in future tests as I am working on a huge Cybis race horse piece that my client wants some rich reds up against pale pangare golden hues on an otherwise dark dappled horse.  The reds keep burning out so I need to try something different.

http://www.porcelainpainters.com/PPIOClass/colors/Colors.asp

Maybe this link will be useful to someone else as well!

Not sure if I missed someone else already posting this link but this is one of the places I did find for some basic starter information:  http://www.porcelainpainters.com/PPIOClass/classroom.htm

I am not a member of this or any other china painting association since most of the techniques they use aren't very applicable to what I am doing.  But it still may be useful to you.  What I have found useful is contacting places like Dallas China or Maryland China and simply having a long chat with them about their products, how they are used, and throw my problems at them for advice.  I think they are wonderful and under utilized resources.

I never did find a 'matte' (or satin) flux though.  I have various matting agents but they have to be mixed with colors.  I haven't been able to formulate or locate a non-glossy clear flux to use as a final over all sheen adjuster.  Adding tons of matting agents to a glossy flux so far has resulted in wasted matting agents.  Adding matting agents to individual colors is difficult for me to get the final results uniform and also not dilute and lighten the colors.

Edited by Hyn Patty

I’m glad you took the time to share this and the resources you’ve found. China painting has become a rare art form. The more that gets written, the less people wanting to try it will have to reinvent the wheel. 

About ten years ago I was gifted several dozen slip cast glazed mugs from a paint-your-pot shop going out of business. I figured the best way to use them was have students china paint them. I was sure there’d be a learning curve, but china painting wasn’t rocket science. As I looked into it I found the wall that this thread expresses. China painting is not nearly as accessible as it once was. I settled on some bake-on paint pens that made through the dishwasher, but it felt like a sad substitute. Better than decals though. 

A few years ago we had a contributor @liambesaw, who had ventured into making his own lustres, which admittedly aren’t china paints, but are related. He didn’t detail a lot here, but I do recall he built himself a laboratory fume hood in his back yard because the process created a lot of stuff that’s really bad for your health. So there’s probably some solid reasons for manufacturers taking over the supply end of things. 

That said, I do have an addition to the china painting resources.  Melanie Sherman is an artist that offers both recorded and in person workshops on the subject, and at the time of writing, the recorded ones seem pretty affordable. https://melaniesherman.com/melanie-sherman-ceramics-workshops/

Again, at time of writing, she seems pretty approachable to questions about the craft.