How to prevent mould growing on MDF boards when pots are wrapped on them?

MDF and moisture aren’t good companions, even if the MDF is sealed. Almost any other form of board would work better. The glue is water soluble, and the small particle size is already “bite sized” for bacteria. 

Switching to almost any other form of plywood would be better, if you can. 

1 hour ago, oldlady said:

why are you including the MDF inside the wrapping?  i usually see people wrapping only the pots in plastic.  that way it doesn't matter what kind of board you put it on.

My throwing bat is MDF so just left the pot on there and thought this way it wouldn’t be distorted and I can lift it when it’s firmer. But yeah agree it would be better to just wrap in plastic. 

1 hour ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

MDF and moisture aren’t good companions, even if the MDF is sealed. Almost any other form of board would work better. The glue is water soluble, and the small particle size is already “bite sized” for bacteria. 

Switching to almost any other form of plywood would be better, if you can. 

Thanks for the suggestion, switching to plywood now…I was told that MDF absorbs moisture and let base dry quicker, maybe not meant to be wrapped. 

Regular MDF is not good as a bat material. However Medex, which is an exterior grade MDF, is fabulous as a bat material. You can buy Medex bats from most of the online ceramics shops. It's absorbent and very durable, a nice middle ground between plaster and plastic. Every now and then I'll get some mold on my Medex bats if I leave them wrapped up a really long time, but a quick wipe with some bleach water takes care of it.