Keeping the Sculpture upright in the kiln for glazing

Hello y'all,

I am so happy to find this community. I have been sculpting since 2006 and have a question. I like to build tall sculptures that are thin at the bottom and larger at the top. Therefore I am looking for a way to glaze my sculptures so that all Sides look great! However because they are not standing without a metal wire insole display I can't glaze fire them. So the question may I put wax on top of glaze at the places they are going to touch the kiln. Would that prevent from sticking?? Thanksss

Hi and welcome to the forum.

2 hours ago, Zeynep Gedikoglu Sculpture said:

So the question may I put wax on top of glaze at the places they are going to touch the kiln. Would that prevent from sticking??

Nope, when the wax burns off the glaze will melt to whatever it's touching.

Could you post a few pictures of your sculptures to give us a better idea of the problem? 

On 10/13/2022 at 10:21 AM, Zeynep Gedikoglu Sculpture said:

I like to build tall sculptures that are thin at the bottom and larger at the top. Therefore I am looking for a way to glaze my sculptures so that all Sides look great!

I have made similar tall sculpture with small base of the sculpture part.  The solution was to make a clay base big enough to prevent the sculpture from falling and attach such base to the sculpture; that is the base is a part of the sculpture.  some were just a half inch thick flat piece of clay.  If the final base is to be wood, provide holes in the clay base to attach the wood foot.  

LT