Beginners Equipment

Sorry if this post is in the wrong area, or if you don’t deal with beginners ( I am hoping you do but  if you don’t you can send me packing … but gently please ) however I am hoping that perhaps I may find some help and guidance.

I have just started a course of 5 classes ( just throwing classes ) and really enjoying myself. It is very apparent that practice and experimentation is the way forward. I am out in the sticks so the studio space option is difficult ( though possibly not impossible ) I have looked at equipment and full blown wheel and kiln are out of the question at this stage not only on the basis of cost but space. I wonder are the table top wheels a viable option just to get started and practicing. I understand that this is very likely a more expensive option should I decide to upgrade to a full size wheel, but I am not sure when that will be. I just thought it may be a good option to get practicing on small pieces, then possibly take some more lessons to fine tune. If this isn’t such a terrible idea is there a particular brand / model that may just be suitable . I was also thinking of a small table top kiln so any help / recommendations would be very much appreciated. Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for this thread or perhaps the wrong forum type.
Regards ~ Ash 

Hi Ash,

Good questions!

I see throwing and firing as separate learning curves.

I've no experience with table top wheels, however, several Forum regulars have some experience and may yet weigh in here...
Table top models are often used for demonstrations, classes, etc.
Given the wheel runs steady, no wobble, and responds predictably to the speed control, there's tradeoff between portability and convenience against torque/power.

Back to throwing and firing as separate, indeed, in two semesters at the local Junior College ceramics lab, I never touched a kiln.
I did become interested in glazing, however.
Even so, learning to fill and fire the kiln seems easier to learn than throwing, trimming, and glazing.

I'm curious, do you have a sheltered outside space where a full size wheel could be set up?
Ventilation could be important for your kiln.
I wouldn't run any kiln in our living space.

Take a look at the cost of a tabletop vs a standard wheel and you may find that it's worth just saving up for a standard wheel rather buying two wheels over time. I would also take more classes before investing in anything just in case the novelty wears off. If you do end up getting a tabletop wheel, the Speedball Artista is a good wheel. I've thrown 10 pounds on one before and it preformed very well.

To me, having a wheel but not a kiln would be nothing but frustrating-especially having to transport my pieces to a community kiln where control is limited. I'd keep taking courses to get the benefits of the education and the access to wheels/kiln, and then later look at what is feasable for a home set-up.  I have  fully functional studio in arented mobile home (I gave up my bedroom and bunk in the spare room) and have a kiln properly installed on a small screened porch (weather-protected by movable panels of  restaurant patio vinyl).  Also, going too small w/a kiln could be a mistake, as you get more into ceramics.

I think a lot of people getting into clay (make the mistake, I think, to) buy a wheel first, then realize transporting ware is more trouble than they planned. But, everyone’s situation is different so I can’t say it’s a bad idea outright. If you go that way, also consider how (or even if) you’re going to recycle your scrap.

I do like @LeeU’s perspective. Take advantage of the studio you have access to. The longer you do, the better informed you’ll be about what it will take to set up your own.