How to Bisque fire - Jen-Ken kiln

Audrey Young

I'm a newbie & am working with porcelain clay. I've made some pendants. I've dried the pieces to bone dry.  Also preheating my kiln at 200 degrees for a few hours.  My question after the preheat is how do I accomplish a bisque firing.  I'm using a JenKen programmable kiln, but haven't been able to find info on this topic. Is there anyone on this forum who could point me in the right direction? Please advise.

Hi Audrey,

Regarding working with your kiln's controller, please identify the particular model (the controller), and/or post a picture of the controller's programming interface and any identifying plate/information.

There are archived threads on this forum on the general subject of bisque firing ...somewhere!

This article might be a good start:
Bisque (digitalfire.com)
There are many other articles on Tony Hansen's digitalfire.com site, watch the clock, you might find several hours have passed afore you know it!

There are several variables to consider, some:

the clay's target cone; you'll very likely want to bisque fire to a lower cone;
  how "dirty" the clay is - you might want to incorporate "holds" in your bisque schedule to burn out undesirables if/when you use dirty clay;
  how thick and/or big your wares are - you might look to slow down for thick/massive wares;
  how much air/oxygen is being drawn through the kiln - oxygen helps burn out those impurities and helps your elements last longer.

I don't do much preheat when the wares are bone dry, just run up to 200F the night before, leaving all the peeps open, then full gas the next morning.
If I have damp wares, I'll do the same, just being much more careful not to run over 210F, run the kiln fan for a few hours, then run up the temp again before turning in for the night, next day, full gas. My wares aren't particularly thick though...

On 9/22/2022 at 5:28 PM, Audrey Young said:

I'm using a JenKen programmable kiln, but haven't been able to find info on this topic. Is there anyone on this forum who could point me in the right direction? Please advise.

Took me a bit but I think this was your response before the split.

Hi Bill,

I have a Jenn ken kiln that only fires to 1800F I have never worked with cones. I've previously worked with PMC, enameling and fused glass.  Guess I need to pick up some cones. To expand, I also own an Olympic kiln that is set up for glass.  I am able to program it for clay.  My 3rd kiln is a Paragon 2 which has a controller that can be programmed as high as is needed. My plan is to make jewelry. I can send you pics of all 3, but I must admit, being tech  savvy is not my strong suit. I will do my best”

The Jen Ken is likely not suitable for clay as low fire clay and bisque temperatures are in the 1900 degree range. It sounds like you can use the Olympic or Paragon and each likely has a controller that you can just run a bisque program. Just post the model of kiln and controller for the Olympic and Paragon. In the meanwhile you will need to pick a clay and firing range you will be working in. For jewelry we always picked cone 6 and a nice porcelain fired to vitrification to make sure it had very low absorption even if unglazed and to ensure it was very sturdy. Just a personal preference though, folks do use low fire clay.

post the models of your kilns and controllers, they likely will automatically fire bisque. In the meanwhile there is a bit of learning about low, mid fire and high fire clay bodies that you will need to do.

Edited by Bill Kielb

The kiln is an Olympic electric kiln with a Bartlett controller. I think, according to the manuals, the Jen-ken  and Paragon are strictly for glass.  Trying my hardest to send you some pics I took on my13 pro phone.  Can't get them to my desk top.  Everything is linked, but they won't go, so will send to your e-mail address if that's acceptable.

Hmm, the “E” model is rated at cone 4 or 2100 degrees max. The controller should cone fire but with this kiln you will need to work with lowfire clay and glazes, generally known as cone 04.  This kiln will not fire cone 6 or higher clay.

The Bartlett manual has a bisque fire program. Your Manual here https://binst.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/manual/asset_path/67/Operation_Manual_-_V6CF.pdf 

Page 25 has a typical bisque firing schedule to cone 04 and the Bartlett control allows simple cone firing programs, bisque and glaze, starting on page 9. As I mentioned you arę likely limited to firing lowfire clay and gaze because of the temperature limitations of your kilns.

Edited by Bill Kielb

@Audrey Young I’ve found the easiest way to upload photos to a post is to log into the forum from your phone’s internet browser. You can then edit your post (tap the three dots in the corner for the right menu) to add photos. Your iPhone will allow you to resize them appropriately as you upload them, similar to the prompt you get when you email pictures.