Stoke & Coat bumps - Cindy P

Cindy P

53DE347F-5FDA-4C58-9EE3-3E1884419452.jpeg.932a7805c3fa21c83f70aa60a8ef384e.jpegprefired glazed bisque

New potter here. Doing my second glaze. Pre firing The stroke and coat I used on my fired white body earthenware is covered with a complete network of tiny bumps. Kind of attractive but certainly not normal.  May not have waited long enough between coats. Or gone too thick. Thanks. 

Edited by Min
Title edit by Min for clarity of topic

• Min changed the title to Stoke & Coat bumps - Cindy P

I am working on Activa blackjack low fire earthenware fired to cone 06 by a teacher I was working with. I will be firing to 05 or 04 in the future at home based on some reading I have done. I have been firing my glazes at ramp 300 to 180 hold 10 minutes ramp at 200/300 to 1820 hold 15 minutes. This will be my 4th firing. I am having so much fun !

On 9/4/2022 at 10:23 AM, Cindy P said:

I have been firing my glazes at ramp 300 to 180 hold 10 minutes ramp at 200/300 to 1820 hold 15 minutes

Just a question, do you fire with witness cones? I ask because the firing schedule you use is a bit unique and does not really follow the Orton cone methodology that generally gets you to a certain cone.  It’s hard to know what these were fired to looking at your schedule. A normal maturing ramp for the last 200f of firing would be 108 degrees per hour. Yours may have been double or triple this speed which could mean you fired more like 07. It’s hard to know. I also mention it because you are pondering firing to 04, so maybe learning how Orton cones predictably drop will be something you explore and prove helpful. So do you use witness cones and what cone was this fired to?

Edited by Bill Kielb