Bailey double vent system vs others?

JRW

I just moved to a new studio and will be setting up a new Skutt 1227 kiln. I sold my envirovent 2 with my previous kiln, thinking I would get a different vent system. I was going to get the Bailey double vent system because it has a timer, which is a feature requested by some other members at my studio.  (They have tried outlet timers for other vents and they haven’t worked for some reason so the timer is important).

https://www.baileypottery.com/m-405-009.html

This vent system requires leaving the top peephole open during firing and attaching a hose to the bottom two firebricks on the opposite side (holes are drilled). So, it’s kind of like a downdraft system, but not quite. I haven’t seen this design anywhere else and can’t find any reviews or comparisons, so I’m wondering if anyone here has any input. Is this comparable to other venting systems? Any red flags with this one? 

It’s a downdraft that can be used for two kilns if need be so nothing new. Most downdrafts can support two kilns. I have used Vents installed at the bottom of a kiln section with no issue as well. I have never really had to pull a sight port or drill the lid, all the kilns I worked with had more than enough lid gap to allow air to enter in.

It's odd that they want the peep hole left open for draft. That's a very big hole compared to the small holes that other vent systems use. Worst case you put in the peep hole plug and drill smaller holes like the other vents.

Skutt, L&L, and Orton vents can all vent two kilns as well, up to 20 cubic feet of total volume. The Bailey can only handle up to 17 cubic feet. They all sell a kit for adding another kiln to the system, and all can be mounted to the side of the kiln instead of the bottom if needed. I do that a lot with L&L vents on other brands of kilns. Get whichever system is cheapest and meets your needs for kiln volume.

Well, actually, it can be kludged to do that. I didn't feel like paying $180 for the feature, so I built one with $20 of parts to control the shared vent for both my bigger kilns. The wire from output 4 triggers a standard relay that turns on the vent power cord. I ran the wires from both controllers' output 4 to the relay, so now whichever kiln turns on first starts the vent fan and whichever kiln turns off last stops the vent fan. But one must be adventuresome to open the box and do that.

dw

Edited by Dick White
spelling