Using glazes for gas reduction in wood firing?

Hello,

The title says all I suppose. I am roaming around on glazy, looking for glazes for wood firing. I have some that I really like for mid/high fire gas firing, I was wondering if glazes like that work for wood firing, too? If the cone is right. I always supposed they did, but when I choose "wood firing" in the searches, it excluded the reduction glazes, even if the the cone is the same.

They will for the most part BUT as always test test test. Wood firing is such a harsh "dirty" environment and its difficult to control the amount of reduction as each time the kiln is stoked it goes into heavy reduction and then moves to a more neutral stage. this will effect glazes in different ways early inthe firing but more so after the melt. Ive searched for years to get good stable glazes that endure the nature of wood firing. 

When I was learning, we used all the high fire reduction glazes in the wood and soda kilns. If it goes to cone 10, it should work in a wood kiln. Whether it’ll be the same colour or not is a different question

The approach for most at the start is to use a celadon or maybe a tenmoku of some kind for a liner glaze. Consider that the flame and placement in the kiln will affect any decoration you do on the outside. You may wind up with dry spots, or you might get a lot of ash deposited that will obliterate any finely detailed decorations. The kiln will be doing a lot of your decorating work for you, so you want to think about how to work with it, rather than against. The edges of flame can leave delicate painterly brushstrokes, or your pot can get the full blast of the harshest part. Depends on what’s around your piece, and where it is.

On the outside of pots, tenmokus or shinos can look nice, or even just gestural flashing slip or oxide wash decorations are the most likely to come through looking good against the very earthy palette that wood fire gives you.