Iron Oxide Glaze Stain Wash

Hey all, I'm new here. Quite a novice in the pottery field.

I much prefer the stone look but don't know much abuse use of iron oxide washes/stains as a glaze.  

Some people have said to just mix water but I know others spoke about use of frit to help the stain 'adhere' or 'melt', and even other things. but I haven't been clear on the ratio and the different outcomes of the different mixture ratios.

Can you please provide me with some clarity on different stain options and the outcomes of each ?  This for Cone 6, for decor (doesn't need to be food-safe) and the place I would buy from is called https://tuckerspotteryeshop.com/product-category/raw-materials/ceramic-ingredients

I appreciate your detailed response.

28 minutes ago, ReezyReez said:

Some people have said to just mix water but I know others spoke about use of frit to help the stain 'adhere' or 'melt', and even other things. but I haven't been clear on the ratio and the different outcomes of the different mixture ratios.

I have used iron oxide mixed with water - and some times with a pinch of baking soda - applied to green ware and bisque ware for various clay bodies; firing at Raku temperature, cone 3, cone 5, cone 10-12, wood firing, and electric kilns.  I have never needed the extra melting that a "frit" is supposed to provide.  The amount of water depends on your esthetics.  A little bit can go along way.   I have also made a slip of the clay body and added some iron oxide to apply on the green ware as an surface coating. 

LT

handicapped here because i do not know what measurement system you use.   usually  recipies are given in grams.   there is no Recipe for a wash, you just start with a small amount of colorant, red iron OXIDE is one choice.   i use it in a wash and do not care exactly how much i use because it is  only for this pot, right now.   a wet artists brush, #6 is my choice, picks up some red iron oxide from a container and i add an amount of water judging by the color swirling around in a white cup.   if it looks to pale, i add more RIO.  if it is too dark, i add water.

unless you plan to use exactly the same proportions many times, measuring is not necessary.  you certainly can measure to repeat exactly, that is what is meant when you see the advice you will see here often "test, test, test".

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you. I was told to do 50/50 water and iron oxide to make about a pint but then to add a teaspoon of clear glaze to help it stick to the pottery otherwise it rubs off. I know people talk about mixing borate or other things with the iron oxide.

What else do people mix with iron oxide to stain bisqueware and what effects do they each give?

Some oxides flux more than others, but usually iron is one you don’t need to add any flux to because it melts at such low temperatures. 

When you’re doing oxide washes, they’re not something you have to overthink chemistry wise. If the oxide you’re using needs a little extra sticking power, you use whatever you already have on hand. There’s not really specific ratios of what to use. It’s like adding salt to food: how much you use depends on how much you like.

Any flux you have will work. Baking soda, frit, borate or borax, soda ash, or as your friend suggested, a little clear glaze that already has flux in it. No need to get anything special for the purpose.

Thank you everyone.

That was helpful. Callie, I'm assuming Baking Soda, frit, corate or borax or soda ash all give a slightly different effect in terms of look when added? Meaning, I wonder if some cause the oxide to run a bit or become more glossy or satin... Any guidance on that?

Edited by ReezyReez