Nara 05/06 Best Clear Glaze Recommendations

I've been working with Nara for about a year now and suddenly am having all these crazing issues with my transparent glaze. I'm using the John Britt transparent for 05/06 that my studio mixes. I'm sure that the studio I work out of possibly messed up the recipe as mine aren't the only pieces crazing lately, but I'm the only potter working with Nara. 

I have a huge order coming up and need a transparent glaze to utilize on Nara 05/06 that doesn't craze. Does anyone have a recommendation of what brand/type to purchase? I've never used another transparent glaze outside of the studio recipe. Any help would be hugely appreciated. 

Hi Mikki and welcome to the forum.

I couldn’t find a lowfire Nara claybody. Aardvark has a cone 5 claybody called Nara (and a cone 10 Nara). Do you have a link or some more info on the clay? Or did you mean it’s fired to cone 5/6?

Also, could you be more specific on which Britt clear glaze the studio you fire at uses?

Crazing results from a difference in shrinkage between the clay and the glaze. If it worked in the past but isn't working now, then something has changed, either in the clay body or the glaze. did it start with a new batch of glaze?

What is Nara clay? Is that a brand name from a specific supplier?

21 hours ago, Min said:

Hi Mikki and welcome to the forum.

I couldn’t find a lowfire Nara claybody. Aardvark has a cone 5 claybody called Nara (and a cone 10 Nara). Do you have a link or some more info on the clay? Or did you mean it’s fired to cone 5/6?

Also, could you be more specific on which Britt clear glaze the studio you fire at uses?

Yes, it is the aardvark clay. I'm not looking to update the recipe, just find a clear glaze that anyone has had success with on the Nara clay. I have a large order and have to get that clear glaze in the next week or so and won't have time to ship in glaze supplies/mix/test fire. 

21 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Crazing results from a difference in shrinkage between the clay and the glaze. If it worked in the past but isn't working now, then something has changed, either in the clay body or the glaze. did it start with a new batch of glaze?

What is Nara clay? Is that a brand name from a specific supplier?

It's Nara from Aardvark. I'm just looking for a clear glaze that won't care on this body so i can get this order completed. 

Nara 5 is a midfire cone 5/6 porcelain from Aardvark. They also have a Nara 10 for cone 10.  If you are using low fire clear that could be the issue.  If you are using the John Britt low expansion clear in his midfire book, it's pretty bullet proof.  I have used the Mastering Cone 6 clear on Nara 5/6.  If you want the recipe, let me know.

Roberta

31 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

Nara 5 is a midfire cone 5/6 porcelain from Aardvark. They also have a Nara 10 for cone 10.  If you are using low fire clear that could be the issue.  If you are using the John Britt low expansion clear in his midfire book, it's pretty bullet proof.  I have used the Mastering Cone 6 clear on Nara 5/6.  If you want the recipe, let me know.

Roberta

Sure! I'd love it so i can compare to the one my studio is using. 

@MikkiNightCraft  This is out of the Mastering Cone Six book.   

Glossy Clear

G200 hp feldspar           20

Ferro Frit 3134                 20

Wollastonite                       15

EPK                                           20

Talc                                              6

silica                                           19

It always worked well on Nara 5 for me.  But it is a Cone 5/6 glaze and I fired to cone 6.  

This is another great recipe.  I got this one from @Min

My friend and I use this all the time.  We call it Madeleine's Clear.  It has letters, but I do not remember them.

epk                              23.0

Silica                            34.5

Neph Sy                       2.9

Wollastonite              5.0

Minspar 200              12.0

Gerstley Borate       22.0

Talc                                    3.0

Dolomite                        3.0

The John Britt book page 77 has a low expansion clear that I have tried.  It works great.  But it's not a low fire glaze.  It is a cone 5/6 glaze