Err1

I fired my 1027 Skutt with the lid slightly propped the entire firing due to a few pieces on the top being too tall for the lid to close completely. I then got a error msg that didn’t make sense to me. Kiln reached 2034° then off (firing to cone 5). Some of the pots on the second layer looked ok (glazes) so I removed them and reloaded the top to layers so the lid could close. Fired it off last night with no problems. Was my err1 code due to the lid being propped?

Yes, very much likely it slowed down and had a hard time going faster than 12 degrees per hour with the lid open.  Generally firing with the lid propped through the entire firing is not a great idea and even if it makes it to temp a bit of cool air while cooling off could be too much for some pieces cracking them.

Edited by Bill Kielb

It is always better to reload the load to position pots in such a manner that you do not touch the lid or have any gaps. I have never heard of anyone firing an entire load with the lid propped. Oxidation to lid straps, and handle definitely a problem. IMHO.

best,

Pres