Subs for fireclay and tile kaolin

Babs

I don’t have any Australian materials knowledge, but I can describe tile 6 and Lincoln, and maybe that can be compared to something closer to home for you.

Tile six is a creamy white, very plastic kaolin that I think is a borderline ball clay. It gets used in a lot of soda/wood fired clay bodies, because it makes pretty flashing in the pink and yellow range. Probably from the magnesium and titanium traces. Clay bodies made with tile 6 have always been a pleasure for me to throw with. According to the digitalfire entry on it, it’s an air floated kaolin that’s amended with bentonite. 

Lincoln fireclay is a weird animal. Also used in a lot of “manly” clay body recipes out of the 1970’s/‘80’s. (big pots, wood fire, anything Peter Volkous. Brutalist tile murals, etc). It’s plastic for a fireclay, and when mixed with something like tile 6, you can tell that the tile 6 is making the slip, and the Lincoln has a slightly larger particle structure giving the clay body its “bones.” I wouldn’t go as far as saying it feels gritty, but it’s got a fine tooth. When I look at the entries on digitalfire for it, it looks cleaner than the batches I dealt with. It’ll create a speckle in any high fire reduction body, and the iron specks do bleed through glazes quite a bit. My experience of this clay is that it fires darker and greyer than what’s in Tony’s images. 

Looking at the notes for this recipe in Glazy, the original recipe had Goldart instead of the Lincoln, which is another clay that does interesting things in atmospheric kilns. So they’re thinking “plastic but not too plastic” and “reacts with fire and stuff” when they were composing this recipe.

5 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I don’t have any Australian materials knowledge, but I can describe tile 6 and Lincoln, and maybe that can be compared to something closer to home for you.

Tile six is a creamy white, very plastic kaolin that I think is a borderline ball clay. It gets used in a lot of soda/wood fired clay bodies, because it makes pretty flashing in the pink and yellow range. Probably from the magnesium and titanium traces. Clay bodies made with tile 6 have always been a pleasure for me to throw with. According to the digitalfire entry on it, it’s an air floated kaolin that’s amended with bentonite. 

Lincoln fireclay is a weird animal. Also used in a lot of “manly” clay body recipes out of the 1970’s/‘80’s. (big pots, wood fire, anything Peter Volkous. Brutalist tile murals, etc). It’s plastic for a fireclay, and when mixed with something like tile 6, you can tell that the tile 6 is making the slip, and the Lincoln has a slightly larger particle structure giving the clay body its “bones.” I wouldn’t go as far as saying it feels gritty, but it’s got a fine tooth. When I look at the entries on digitalfire for it, it looks cleaner than the batches I dealt with. It’ll create a speckle in any high fire reduction body, and the iron specks do bleed through glazes quite a bit. My experience of this clay is that it fires darker and greyer than what’s in Tony’s images. 

Looking at the notes for this recipe in Glazy, the original recipe had Goldart instead of the Lincoln, which is another clay that does interesting things in atmospheric kilns. So they’re thinking “plastic but not too plastic” and “reacts with fire and stuff” when they were composing this recipe.

Thanks Callie, I want to play with slip over red clay and came across this slip .

The image of it on dark clay then stretched appealed to me. Electric kiln these days I may try a black slip underneath the the white slip.

Time to play not on scheduke at the mo. My Gallery stock low.

I have been to Sidney before ,

and did the bridge walk and had some lobster on my way to the Solomon Islands for diving

2001 if I recall-I was on our honeymoon in the Solomon Ialands trip-second time there for us.

Archived