Used Kiln Questions

Hi everyone! I'm about to start getting into ceramics / pottery, and one of my goals is to find a kiln.

I am going to get a small cone 6 kiln for starter use at some point (OMG $1,600?), so that is on my list.

That being said, I ran across this and am wondering if this would be worth picking up for later on down the road.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/art/d/new-braunfels-school-kiln-large/7459012197.html

The interior seems to be in decent shape. Do you think this could be worth it, or a nightmare? Do y'all see any red flags here that I don't?

And another question that may make some of you cringe (as I don't know really anything about kilns): If this doesn't fit in my Blazer standing up, can I lay it on the side and secure it from rolling about?

Thank you for your help.

-Clayton

If I was in the area, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat for $150! For that price you could invest a bunch of $ in it and still come out ahead. It does look in good overall condition and it is a ^10 kiln. I've got the same kiln and use it for ^6 firings. I did add an Orton controller which makes operation a lot easier than manual. It would not be a good idea to lay it on its side for transport. If you don't have a buddy with a pickup truck, go over to Home Depot and rent one of their trucks to transport the kiln upright. 

put lots of padding under it in the truck, carpet pad 3 layers thick would be good.  tie it down from over the top without scarring the top with ropes or tapes or whatever you use.   it is made of bricks but they are SOFT bricks, you can dent them with a fingernail.   treat it like a baby.

Kilns that aren't built in sections are difficult to move and very difficult to replace broken bricks, so be extra careful moving it. It's going to be very heavy.

It says the hinge needs to be fixed/replaced. That hinge is not a good one to start with- the supports screwed onto the kiln are much too small to provide good support. I would consider replacing the entire hinge system for something better.

Have you checked out your electrical service to make sure it can handle a kiln this large? It will need to be hooked up on a 60 amp breaker. On 240 volt service (what you have in your home) it's going to pull closer to 46 amps. Code requires that kiln be on a breaker that is 25% greater than the draw of the kiln, so a 60 amp breaker and appropriately sized wiring.

Thank you all very much for the advice. I will plan the move carefully and figure out what to do about the hinge.

My dad has a shop with welders and what-not, so I know I'll be able to hook it up.

Thanks again everyone! Next up is a small kiln for learning and I'm thinking about the Speedball Clay Boss wheel with possibly the shelf add-on!

-Clayton

Archived