Olympic 129 Cone 6 Kiln

McOnions

I was able to pick up this kiln at a very low price.  I’m very new to pottery and just trying to learn.  This kiln is rated cone6, so I imagine it would be fine for bisque firing, but will it have issues glazing in cone 6 glazes?  I’m not sure how old the elements are as I have not tested.  Other threads made me thing It wouldn’t get hot enough for cone6 glazes.  What do you guys think?

It will get to cone 6 only if the elements are in very good condition. You'll get maybe 30 firings before they'll need to be changed. If you're glaze firing to cone 6, ideally you want a kiln that goes to cone 8 or 10, as the elements can wear a lot more before they need changing- about 80 firings for a cone 8 kiln, 135-150 for a cone 10 kiln.

With different elements it could run hotter, but that would require a lot of other changes to the kiln to accommodate the higher amperage draw.

16 minutes ago, McOnions said:

Is there any documentation on what would need to make the change?

No, it would be a total DIY job. New elements, upgraded wiring and power cord, and you'd need an electrical line that could handle it, so you'd probably have to install a new line. 

congrats on having a kiln!   you might even decide to try cone 06 earthenware for awhile.  there is nothing wrong with making earthenware pottery, it has a long history and many contemporary potters are very happy with it.   as you progress with learning to make things you like, you might even continue to use earthenware permanently. 

will you now be able to establish your own home studio or are you using some public facilities these days?

I do plan on getting a wheel and setting up a little studio.  Currently I’m taking a class and learning the basics.  I think the earthenware will be fine for me.  I wasn’t sure if upgrading the kiln  would save money over time by replacing the elements less often.  

I’m looking forward to getting everything setup and doing some testing and make a few things on my own.

2 hours ago, McOnions said:

I do plan on getting a wheel and setting up a little studio.  Currently I’m taking a class and learning the basics.  I think the earthenware will be fine for me.  I wasn’t sure if upgrading the kiln  would save money over time by replacing the elements less often.  

I’m looking forward to getting everything setup and doing some testing and make a few things on my own.

If you're looking for something a little more vitrified than low fire work, most terra cotta bodies can be fired up to cone 2-3, which your kiln could handle just fine. It's a neat temp to work at because the clay gets darker and does some neat things with light colored slips and glazes.

Thanks for the advice.

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask but have a few questions.  

Do I need a vent for the kiln, it does have a peep hole on the top, and also how would I test the element to check it life?

Any advice on how to use the kiln sitter?

20 hours ago, McOnions said:

Do I need a vent for the kiln, it does have a peep hole on the top, and also how would I test the element to check it life?

Any advice on how to use the kiln sitter?

A peep in the lid? I would try it with it open for the full firing, but if it's letting too much heat out then plug it at orange heat.

All Sitters work the same, so any kiln manual will work. HERE is a link to the Skutt kilns with Sitters.  The key to the Sitter working properly is to figure out how long a firing will take, and then set the timer to about 1/2 hour longer than that. The timer is just a backup that shuts down the kiln when it reaches zero in case the cone mechanism sticks, it doesn't control how long a firing actually takes to get to temp. So always use the exact same turnup schedule when you fire.

Archived