Numbering System for Glaze Test Recordkeeping

MissyLee5

Good morning! 

I've finally got my kiln delivered & set up and ready to start making and testing my own glazes. As a soapmaker I've learned over the years how important it is to keep good notes for consistent, repeatable results. So I'm very particular about keeping good records with everything I do now, and I'm trying to find a good system for numbering and recording my glazes and test tiles. Rather than just having everything randomly numbered, I'd like a numbering system that provides some information. I'm thinking of doing something like a categorized alphanumeric record number. For example M for matte, G for gloss, etc. Say I am testing colorants in a gloss base, the base would be G1, then the first colorant test would be G1A, second G1B and so on. I could take it a step further and add the colorant name to the test, for example G1Fe, G1Co, G1Cu, etc. I'll be keeping a 3 ring binder & a digital copy as well to keep track of everything. 

I'm curious what numbering system everyone here uses & how they are organized. Feel free to share any other record keeping tips! 

For tests I found it easiest to use 001 - 999 Easy to write, plenty of room not to run out of numbers and keeps things chronological. You can always compare the number on the tile to the recipe in your notes to find out how much colourant or whatever is in the glaze. Then for glazes you actually use you could go G1Fe etc.

if you use the alphabet, remember that there are only 26 of them so use them as categories instead of the larger number of color variants.  simple numbers work well to put on tiles as mentioned.   leave space below the notebook entry for comments.   first is where the recipe originated and i have several that explain why the first word is AWFUL!   

Since I make the test tiles in large batches (with an extruder), there is no way to know in advance which tile is going to be used for what glaze recipe at some indeterminate time in the future. Therefore, I scribe sequential numbers from 100 to 999 on the bottoms of the tiles as I make a batch, and then toss them in a box after bisque firing them. When I am doing the tests, I grab them randomly from the box and note the tile number on the initial recipe sheet so I can correctly associate them after the test firing. Then I write the glaze name on the bottom of the tile with a Sharpie.

gee, dick, it is easy to load them in numerical order on  a kiln shelf to bisque after carving a number in the bottom of the raw clay with a stylus.   then they go into a box still in order.    my notebooks show numbers 1 -537, i think i am up to 537 tests.  the notebook entry reads name, color and any other thing i need to remember that batch of tests.   then i leave about 3 lines blank for any notes after firing.   when i examine the fired results, i write the name and color in sharpie on the foot of the tile.

it is easier for me because i single fire, number the tile,  write glaze name, color, etc. in the notebook fire the tiles, compare the notes if the test is strange looking and enter results under the number.   that space is used for things like  "color good, but it crackles do not use. "  

there are photos in an album under my profile showing slip color tests.  they show the type of test tile used  so you can see there is room on the foot for some info.  the tests are strung by number on shoelaces.  

@oldladyWow 537 tests! That's impressive. I've looked at some of your photos before, I think it was mason stain tests. I'll check out the colored slip tests, that is something I'm very interested in. I'd love if I can find a red(ish) slip/engobe rather than buying another clay, I just love how some glazes look over red clay. But I don't have high hopes for a red cone 6 without the use of mason stain. I did find one recipe I'm going to be checking out, made with redart and a few other things. We'll see if it leads to any cool effects with glazes. 

I think I will follow along & use a plain numerical system for the test tiles, then use the alphanumeric for the glaze itself, also writing it on the bottom of the test tile. I've done my first test firings & bisqued about 20 test tiles this week, so I'll be busy making test batches of glaze this weekend. 

MISSY LEE,

oops, capslock.  there is a beautiful red clay that is very inexpensive and easy to make.  get a 50 pound bag of Redart and a 50 pound bag of XXsaggar and mix them together in water.  a really smooth, nice red clay.   developed by Robin Teas for her students who could not afford the studio clay at the jr college where she taught.   i used it for a long time but did not like having red fingers so i went to white clay.  it is in the photos in my albums of my west va studio.  the tests hanging on the side of the potters wheel table are all the glaze tests i did on it.

SORRY, THOSE PHOTOS ARE ON THE WHITE CLAY, THE RED CLAY PHOTO IS NOT HERE ANYMORE.  the very old post, Santa suit red is lost, too.  the new search thingy shows any time the word red is used so there are thousands of posts to sift through.  adding plus signs did not work.

On 3/22/2022 at 7:01 AM, MissyLee5 said:

I'm curious what numbering system everyone here uses & how they are organized. Feel free to share any other record keeping tips! 

I use a scheme based on 4 or 5 characters: first is an Alphabet character, the rest are numbers. The scheme will be last 26 years; start with A and change at beginning of each year. the numbering code also starts at 0000 at the start of each year.  This gives you ~9999 test tiles per year (only 999 if you chose to only use 3 number characters.   I use inverted "T" shaped test tiles; the code is applied on the bottom of the tile with an "ink" of iron & manganese oxides in water. at the time the tile is used.  the code is also noted in the glaze book with the details of the glaze mixture and the details of the fired glaze.  
Has worked fine for the last 15 years.   

LT

@Magnolia Mud Research I love this idea, thank you for sharing! I have always liked using a code for recordkeeping that gives me a little information, especially something that gives me an idea of when it was made. 

@oldlady Wonderful! Can't wait to check it out. Since the original post can't be found I'll have to make a new one with some photos after I give it the redart mix a shot. 

• 2 weeks later...

missy,  i have lots of my pots in  photos that circulate while my computer starts up.  i can't remember the real name for them.   the photo of the redart clay and glaze tests has gone by twice in the last few days.  i do not know how to stop and capture it but it showed at least 30 small pots with my standard recip es.  all are published in several places, bill van gilder's book has the rutile green recipe that i  strongly dislike in the green form, but like in nearly all the other colors.  it has that hares fur look i really like but does not move.

Archived