Price increases

Every year before my first show in April I review my prices to see what needs to be increased. Without fail I have always added 2%-4% to my prices. I never had a problem with this.

This year costs have gone up so I should really increase my prices 4%-5% 

I know people are still buying and for the most part are expecting to see a higher price. So it should be easy , right? For the first time I'm hesitant, I'm considering keeping last year's prices.

I'm wondering what other potters that sell at shows are planning to do?

I raised my 2022 prices for a couple of items that were always sold out before shows even started (via advanced reservations). But otherwise my prices are staying the same this year. I always price based on market value, not materials costs. Materials costs have gone up, but it's still very much a small percentage of the market values, so profit margins are still high enough for me. 

I raised prices twice last year and in January  2022  (for some items) and now I  feel they are where they need to be for at least this year.

My prices are a bit complex as some wholesalers mark up 35% and 40% and 50% . I try to keep the end price about the same .My booth pots are easy as my next show is in August.

I still have two consignment galleries as well-one is 50/50 the other 60/40

I raised all prices twice last year on pottery.  Example, piece that was selling for $35 went up to $37, then $40.  Now it's $45.   Bowls that were $48 are now $65.   Smaller $12 Bowl is $22.    $10 bowl is $20.    My price on bowls was too low.     Have had only a few people mention price increase but they keep buying.  I sold out of all hand built around mid November.   All I had  left for Christmas was slip cast pieces (I buy from someone else and just glaze ... quickly glaze these).   I've decided I've only got so many pieces "left in me".   I'm really pricing higher because I don't really "have" to sell as much with fewer employees.   Someone wanted one of my 2  feet Wavy Platter/Bowls.     I made this for my niece.   A person saw it and wanted one (in Atlanta .. not here) and she told them I didn't ship and I really didn't have that piece in the line.      She told my niece "everyone has a price" and offered $1000 and it was no hurry, just wanted it by next Christmas for parties.   So ... a couple are drying now .......   Won't ship but someone in the family will be visiting or my niece will drive it back.   I don't think it's worth that.     And I'm sure no one here on the forums or any customers that shop here will think it is either.    She snapped a couple of pictures and one with a ruler to make sure it was this same size and look ... as IF I wouldn't remember it.   Telling my niece "money talks" ... hell ya it does. 

large platter.jpg

( I've decided I've only got so many pieces "left in me".  ) this is really ringing true with me now in life. I am approaching 69 years young in a week and I have told myself at 70 I'll really hit the brakes.

I have to get more underwater time and suface fishing in this year before I snap. 

i will hit 82 in august if i last that long.   still working, loving the new designs, and i have to replace a roof in a few years.   having the engine blow up on the trip down here took half my savings account  that was intended for a future roof.

still working, but slowing down, one afternoon's work volume of 10 years ago takes 2-3 days.

While demand for classes has remained very strong, Covid has hammered our gallery sales over the past couple of years.  Our clay and glaze chemical prices from the supplier went up when we restocked in January.  We decided to increase our rates for tuition and open studio users a bit to offset our cost increases, and we've raised our clay prices a bit as well.  We've not yet raised our prices in the gallery, but probably will when sales start to recover a bit more.  So far we haven't seen any decrease in class registrations from the tuition price increase.  This was our first price increase in two years, and I think everyone understands that our costs have been impacted with supply chain and inflation issues.

Well prices went up in 2021 and I just got this from Laguna  today

(We are working on pricing for 2022 and there will be a significant increase.)

So be aware  its on the rise for materials this year as well.

getting my second order ready for Laguna now for this year  for more clay and materials-

I am on last bag of 3,000#s of 100# bags of Kingman feldspar which I bought in 1982 when I drove to Kingman and picked it up-so you ask how long does 3,000 pounds last a professional potter of feldspar (I also use a bit of custar) well for me its been a 40 year run.Sad to see it go-now ordering 300#s of custar

PS still have a 50 # bag of the orginial stuff with the  state logo Az map outline thats red. I will open and use that when my 100# no name bag is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived