Does anyone own a Skutt KM822 kiln?

MissyLee5

My first Kiln, the KM822 should be delivered this week (yay!). I'm in the process of buying posts for it and trying to figure out how high up the thermocouple is located so I can buy the correct post sizes to clear it when loading the kiln. I called Skutt, but they didn't have one available to check so they just checked the schematics and said it SHOULD be around 7-8" above the floor.

I was planning on using mostly 6" posts, so depending where exactly the thermocouple is I may have to go taller/shorter. Does anyone happen to own this model, or have access to one that could measure it and give me the exact height of the thermocouple? I couldn't find the answer online. Thanks in advance! 

just thinking about this a bit -
I don’t own the model but you probably want a very bottom shelf so 1/2 to let’s say 1” posts for it and usually folks plan on some variety of posts to fire low height stuff like pendants, plates etc., and intermediate posts for shallow bowls and such. With that variety generally a way can be found to make sure the thermocouple is not exactly centered on a shelf.

In addition your shelves ought to be small enough so there is reasonable  gap between the shelf and the wall. Tightly blocking off an element is something you don’t want to do. So you may need more variety than you initially think.

@Bill Kielb Yes, you are right about the shelves being smaller. It's an 18" wide kiln, my shelves are 15" so that does give me space between them and the walls. I was planning on buying some 1/2" or 1" posts for the bottom, then a variety of 2", 4" and 6" posts to start. If I use a 6" post for the second shelf to sit on, that puts me right around 7.5" from the bottom (I have the thin advancer shelves) which may be right where the thermocouple is. I'm mostly making bowls and mugs right now, sometimes plates here and there. I may need to find some new shorter items to make. But mostly I'm making items that are 4-5" tall, which is why I'm thinking I'll be using mostly 6" posts.

I apologize for my ignorance, is it 1" clearance I need on all sides of the thermocouple, or can the shelf be in line with it and 1.5" away is sufficient? I still have a lot to learn about firing before I use it, but I thought the shelves needed to be sitting above/below the thermocouple by at least an inch. 

The more clearance the better, 1” is generally fine. In-line and an inch away should be fine as well. I think you will find most of the time you will end up or easily be able to be above or below it in actual loading. Just wanted to make sure you were thinking of getting a variety of size posts. Many folks like the bottom to be a full shelf and the rest to be 1/2 so they can load a variety of tall and short as well. Just to add - 1/2 shelves can share the center posts so only four posts needed to form one complete shelf from two halves.

Edited by Bill Kielb

That's great to hear, I didn't realize it could be in line at all. So I shouldnt have an issue as long as I get a few sizes of posts then. I wish I could've got some half shelves, but the full shelves didn't cost much more than the half shelves, and advancer is already very expensive so I couldn't swing the half shelves. I'm likely going to buy a few extra regular shelves though in case I do end making lower pieces, in which case I will go for the half shelves. Thanks for all your help! 

35 minutes ago, MissyLee5 said:

I didn't realize it could be in line at all. So

On some kilns the thermocouple extends into the kiln a few inches so in-line is not possible. On some top end kilns the thermocouple is recessed a bit in the kiln wall so anything is possible. Use practical sense when loading and try and keep the area as free as practical. In my experience  1” spacing all sides is very reasonable to sense at the speeds you will be firing. If your thermocouple is not in a protective sleeve, it is normal for it to corrode and shed so don’t put items underneath it, especially in a glaze firing.

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 4 months later...

(Joining this thread late) Any new updates or tips to share? I also ordered a similar kiln (KM822-3) but still have several weeks to wait. I am curious how it went. I was estimating something similar (6” posts for bisque fire and a combo of 3-4” for glaze); were you happy with the decision to do all full shelves vs half shelves? 

If/ when you have a moment, would love to hear more about your experience. 

Edited by moonari

@moonari Hi there! I've only done a few firings as I'm making my glazes and have a lot of testing to do still. I did end up buying several 6" posts, along with some 2" and 4" and some 1". I bought 3 advancer shelves (full) which have been wonderful, but quickly realized I needed an extra shelf or two so I also ordered a full size standard shelf, and will eventually get another. I do think half shelves would be too small to fit much with a kiln this size, unless you are making very small pieces. 

I ended up building my own vent system which was easy to setup & saved me a good chunk of money.  I bought Skutts plenum cup kit and ordered a blower motor which were the two most expensive parts. The rest can be purchased cheaply at any home improvement store. 

I'm definitely glad I went with the 822 over the 818, as I didn't realize until using it how small it actually is. I'm thankful for those couple extra inches. If making larger pieces like plates or bowls, you'll only be able to do a few pieces per firing. I've only used the cone fire programs so far, but will soon be trying a custom program as the cone 6 firing program seems to over fire a bit for me. With you getting a 3" brick, you'll have even more insulation so you may have the same problem with overfiring if using the preloaded desired cone firing program. One nice thing though with the cone fire programs, is you can add a slow cool to any of the programs, which has to first be enabled in the settings. I think it was called R8. You also have the ability to add holds, preheat, and firing speed, so you can still customize the preloaded programs a bit. 

Overall its a great Kiln and doesn't take up much room. I do wish I would've spent the extra couple hundred for the touch screen controller, but the Kilnmaster controller is easy enough to use. Hopefully some of this helps. Good luck and congrats on your Kiln! 

44 minutes ago, MissyLee5 said:

@moonari ... but will soon be trying a custom program as the cone 6 firing program seems to over fire a bit for me.

If the cone fire program is overfiring (as indicated by actual witness cones on the shelves), you can adjust the thermocouple offset to make it fire cooler. If you can't find instructions for that in your manual or it seems daunting, call Skutt support and they will guide you through it.

• 3 weeks later...