Looking for Cone 6 Glaze book

Chantay

Hi all, looking for a book recomendation for someone that is interested in learning to mix their own glazes. I am a beginner potter. I started with low fire clay and have always used store bought glazes. I enrolled in a ceramic class at the local junior college. Huge disappointment. Although the instructor seems very knowledgeable, glaze mixing is not usually taught. So looking to do a transition to mid-fire clay and glazes. I already have my own kiln and am looking for a used wheel.

I appreciate any and all help. This forum is great. I am so grateful to all the people who contribute here.

-chantay

Guest JBaymore

Hi and welcome to the forums.

One of the best books on the cone 6 glaze subject is "Mastering Cone 6 Glazes" by John Hesselberth and Ron Roy.

But you might want to be looking for a class or workshop that gets you going in the right dierection with a lot of the basics first. They do exist, but you might have to travel a bit to find what you need.

Books and forums are good... but nothing beats a hands-on experience.

best,

................john

Mastering Cone 6 Glazes is excellent for introduction to the concepts of fluxes, altering recipes etc. It also compliments Glaze Master computer software.

Another good book is on Cone 6 Glazes is Michael Bailey's Book. he breaks down glazes by fluxes and discusses their effects and shows test tiles.

it is written from a British perspective and has an international equivalency for frits among other things.

both books are great for learning how to work with and develop glazes.

Marcia

I'll third that, Mastering Cone 6 Glazes is a very good book. One of the best aspects is that it is well written, an unusual thing for pottery books. If you're pretty techy an interesting book is Stoneware Glazes, by Ian Currie. It has some good testing methods. Though it's a cone 10 book, John Britt's, Complete Guide to High-Fire Glazes, is also well written. A very good reference book is the Hammer encyclopedia. It is very helpful in interpreting the terms you will find as you learn about glazes (check on B&N, not Amazon). If you only get one though, Mastering Cone 6 Glazes would be it. If getting two, I would make the second Hammer's book.

In my experience most books only give you a partial picture of the process. It seems that glaze information is more of a mosaic than a systematic science.

Joe.

The one book every potter needs is "Clay and Glazes for the Potter" by Daniel Rhodes. Mke sure you get the latest printing, I think published in 2000.

I am sure these other cone 6 glaze books are excellent and would definately go get them...right after I got Rhodes book.

Ian Currie's Grid approach is a very cool method of glaze exploration. Britt's book on High Fired Stoneware and Rhodes' book Clay and Glazes for the Potter don't really discuss the ^6 temperature range but both give great information for the formulation of glazes and the required ingredients to balance glaze formulas.

There are many books out there. Probably your best approach would be to find one that works with your learning style.

Lana Wilson has a very different approach to glazing but is more similar to Ian Currie's approach. I love her methods.

It "just depends" on how you learn.

Marcia

Thankyou everyone for your replies. John - I went ahead and ordered 'Mastering Cone 6 Glazes.' I did make a list of the other books recommended for possible future purchase. I realize a glaze class or workshop would be best. I hope to make it one in after the first of the year. Is there some place that provides workshop listings?

-Chantay

Archived