Red Clay ingredient

Sara J.

3 minutes ago, Sara J. said:

I'm really new to glaze mixing and I've seen a bunch of glaze recipes that include Red Clay. Does this mean that I look for dry terra cotta to add to a glaze? 

Terra cotta is a clay body made primarily of red clay. It usually has some ball clay blended with it (10-20%), and also some barium to prevent scumming. So for you glazes you just want the red clay, not a dry terra cotta body. Redart will work well, and most suppliers carry it.

8 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Terra cotta is a clay body made primarily of red clay. It usually has some ball clay blended with it (10-20%), and also some barium to prevent scumming. So for you glazes you just want the red clay, not a dry terra cotta body. Redart will work well, and most suppliers carry it.

Thanks, this is really helpful. 

oh.   the only use for Redart that i know of is to make clay.   my friend, Robin Teas, developed a clay for her students who could not afford the clay needed for practicing throwing.  it was a good clay, strong and pretty.   half redart and half xxsaggar.   i used it for awhile until i realized that my hands stayed dirty looking too often.   maybe i just am not interested in the color as a glaze.

Archived