SKUTT GlazeTech Test Kiln

RJJones

Hi RJ!

1.1 cubic feet, cone ten test kiln; the controller comes with a few programs and can be set up to run "custom" eight segment programs, hrrm.

It's small, also modern and cool-oh! One could make and learn a lot with that kiln.
You'll need a dedicated circuit.

1889329011_whynot.JPG.7110aa52035b15e6ce1cf857a8222902.JPG

It is small, however!

I went with a seven cubic foot kiln; several years later, am almost grown into it...

@HulkThat's not the GlazeTech kiln in that photo. The image from the Skutt page says it's a KM1027. Why they put it on that page I don't know. The GlazeTech is square.

@RJJones It's only 9 inches deep, which means you'll have about 8 inches in height to work with, which isn't much. If you make your mugs the right size then you'll be able to fit two rows, but you'll have to be careful about measurements. At 15 inches wide it probably uses 12 or 13" shelves, which means you can't fire a dinner plate except at the top where you won't have posts in the way. It'll work for small stuff, but that's it. For not much more you could get a KM818-3 which would give you more options for what you can make, and you'd be less likely to outgrow it quickly. Once you have your own kiln, you're likely to produce more work than you would firing your work elsewhere. I usually recommend a 23" wide kiln, as that is a size you may never outgrow as a hobbyist.

Archived