kiln wash for posts for Advancers

Kakes

Hello, I was wondering whether there was a recipe for a non-flaking kiln wash? I would be using it only for posts to prop Advancer shelves, which I' was told don't need kiln wash themselves, but that it's a good idea to wash the ends of posts. I'm assuming I won't need to ever scrape them since they won't come into contact with glaze, so was wondering whether there was a recipe that might flake less. The wash I'm using now (forgot what recipe I'm using) is terrible - it flakes if I look at it sideways. 

Thank you for any suggestions.

keiko

I use advancer shelves at cone 10 with porcelain. If you use porcelain and some other glassy clay bodies you may get plucking (bottoms sticking to shelves )If so you will need to LIGHTLY wash the shelves.

Same for stilts /posts its the same recipe

1/2 aluminum hydrate

1/4 epk

1/4 calcined (bisqued)-you can do it yourselve in any pot in any bisque or buy glomax which is calcined epk from a ceramic supplier

You can brush or dip the pots ends in it. 

Glaze does not ever stick to these shelves and comes off easy with a rubbing stone

Here is a post all about it

18 hours ago, Mark C. said:

I use advancer shelves at cone 10 with porcelain. If you use porcelain and some other glassy clay bodies you may get plucking (bottoms sticking to shelves )If so you will need to LIGHTLY wash the shelves.

Same for stilts /posts its the same recipe

1/2 aluminum hydrate

1/4 epk

1/4 calcined (bisqued)-you can do it yourselve in any pot in any bisque or buy glomax which is calcined epk from a ceramic supplier

You can brush or dip the pots ends in it. 

Glaze does not ever stick to these shelves and comes off easy with a rubbing stone

Here is a post all about it

Thank you, Mark. This is very helpful. Just one question - I only single fire to cone 5-6. Would it be ok to fire the EPK to cone 5/6 to calcine it? Thanks again!

Yes fine its just to drive off moisture and pre shrink it.

if you wash your shelves -dry them and 1st fire slow fire them as you would a bisque fire. Advancers are subject to exploding when wet if fired fast.

I keep mine outside on wood surface not cement to keep them dry. 

The only explosion I have heard about was So-Cal potter who hosed them down and fired them in a glaze fire. Ruined the whole load a blew up many shelves. I have fired mine over 1, 000 times with no issues exploding

54 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Yes fine its just to drive off moisture and pre shrink it.

if you wash your shelves -dry them and 1st fire slow fire them as you would a bisque fire. Advancers are subject to exploding when wet if fired fast.

I keep mine outside on wood surface not cement to keep them dry. 

The only explosion I have heard about was So-Cal potter who hosed them down and fired them in a glaze fire. Ruined the whole load a blew up many shelves. I have fired mine over 1, 000 times with no issues exploding

Great, I will just fire it along with a regular cone 5 firing then.

I do love my Advancers. I don't use any kiln wash on them, but I only electric fire them to cone 6 and have never had a problem (I don't use porcelain). I did want to protect them from potential plucking from the kiln posts.

Thank you again!

1 hour ago, Kakes said:

Great, I will just fire it along with a regular cone 5 firing then.

I do love my Advancers. I don't use any kiln wash on them, but I only electric fire them to cone 6 and have never had a problem (I don't use porcelain). I did want to protect them from potential plucking from the kiln posts.

Thank you again!

Just coat the top of the posts as they will stick a bit if not coated with wash

Archived