Pots stuck to shelves

nancylee

Drats! I mixed two glazes for the first time ever yesterday, hobbit blue and blue snowflake. These are my favorites at my pottery class, and we don't have class until October, so I bought them dry, followed directions, and mixed them. I dipped my stuff, as we always do, and when I opened my kiln this morning, everything bigger than a mug was stuck! How do I get them off? I know I have to grind the shelves clean, but first, I need to remove the pottery!

Another newbie mistake. Sigh. I cleaned the bottoms really well, but only left about 1/4 inch of running room. They say mistakes are the best Teacher; well, I sure am learning a lot!

My link

Drats! I mixed two glazes for the first time ever yesterday, hobbit blue and blue snowflake. These are my favorites at my pottery class, and we don't have class until October, so I bought them dry, followed directions, and mixed them. I dipped my stuff, as we always do, and when I opened my kiln this morning, everything bigger than a mug was stuck! How do I get them off? I know I have to grind the shelves clean, but first, I need to remove the pottery!

Another newbie mistake. Sigh. I cleaned the bottoms really well, but only left about 1/4 inch of running room. They say mistakes are the best Teacher; well, I sure am learning a lot!

My link

Could your kiln have fired hotter than the one at school? Did you use a witness cone? to remove, I'd use a dremel with a diamond cutting blade and gentle go around each piece...unless they can pop off because you used kiln wash on the shelves.

Always wear safety goggles when using grinding equipment and a dust mask.

Marcia

Guest JBaymore

As marcia said, diamond wheel in either a body grinder or a germel (if the mess is lighter). Work around the bottom from all sides.

best,

..................john

My link

Nancy-Lee;

You can try a one inch wide putty knife and hammer to gently tap them off. [sLIDE UNDERNEATH THE PIECE]I use a steel table knife cut off to one inch of blade as a chisel.DO NOT FORGET TO WEAR GOGGLES TO PROTECT YOUR EYES. YOU AREDEALING WITH GLASS HERE!Do not run your fingers over the shelf. I only did that once, Cut myself really good.

Sorry about your trials. We all have done it.TJR.:(

It also helps to put the shelf on a bag of dry clay when chiseling to absorb the shock. I have chiseled a few shelves after decades of teaching.

Nancylee's pots don't look too bad. The glaze is not puddled visibly. I thing a gentle scoring with a thin diamond blade on a dremel would do the trick. It there were puddles, a chisel would be needed.

Marcia

Guest JBaymore

The reason for suggesting cutting the glass at the bottom instead of chipping is to minimize the vibrational shocks to the shelves. If a gentle tap or two with a chisel does not work...... sacrifice the pots not the life of the shelves.

best,

.......................john

Thank you all for your help with my sad and careless mistake. Now I know why you all say to do test pieces. I figured that since I use these glazes every week at my teacher's, they were the same, but obviously I did something different when I mixed them. Maybe I should stick to umderglazes and clear glazes painted over them! Sparingly!

Thanks,

Nancy

Archived