Spontaneous breaking

Roberta12

As we were on the last batch of glazing for Empty Bowls, I suggested that we use a glaze that I had, Bone, from MC6.  And my friend said Oh and what about that lovely brown paired with it.  The Temmoku from John Britt's book, Selsor Temmoku.  Both of them are really great glazes and I had never thought of pairing them.  So we did.  I did not throw the bowls, my friend had, but I knew the clay was Laguna Dover.  Imagine my surprise when all 4 of the bowls we had glazed that way just spontaneously cracked and broke right before my eyes.  They were cool when it happened, not sitting in a breeze.  I think it is because there was a great deal of tension between the 2 glazes.  But I would love to have everyone's thoughts on this.  We also paired the Temmoku with Ravenscrag white.  It was simply a lovely combo!  No breaking.  

Roberta

broken bowls.jpg

We glazed almost 300 bowls, made the same way, bisqued to 04, with the same clay, with a variety of glazes.  They were the only 4 that did that.  The only 4 glazed that particular way.  I heard the noise of them popping and I turned to see them break before my eyes.  It was an amazing thing!

26 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

I heard the noise of them popping and I turned to see them break before my eyes.  It was an amazing thing!

I think that is very likely the difference in COE was the cause. Looks like a sudden catastrophic material failure not necessarily following a common weakened  path to relieve the stress. Nice Empty bowl, bowl  BTW.

1 hour ago, Babs said:

Thickbfoot, thin walled adde d to it...

Shaped bowl coming from corner too.

Glad you only did 4 I'll bet

That is how that person throws.  thick foot, thin walls.  And yes, you are absolutely right, so glad we only did 4 that way!!!  

Archived