How to reverse a Brent Model B Wheel

jdelmon

Hi all,

I recently got ahold of an old Brent model B wheel. My wife is a lefty so I need to figure out how to reverse the wheel direction. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? I have also seen some posts where people said they added a reverse switch to the wheel. Do ypu know how to do that? Thanks in advance.

Josh

20211003_115423.jpg

20211003_115718.jpg

20211003_115731.jpg

Call amaco/Brent and ask

I would just have her and throw the regular direction as lefty does not matter as most throw all the same direction no matter if you are right or left handed

I'm making the assumption she is new to throwing and just learning-if she is already throwing clockwise then you should get it turning clockwise

Edited by Mark C.

Throwing direction is not a matter of being left or right handed. Western cultures typically throw counter-clockwise, and eastern cultures typically work clockwise. I recommend she learn to work counter-clockwise as she may encounter wheels that only go that direction if she attends workshops. Plus most instructional videos will be done that way.

While I agree that wheel direction is more cultural than handedness, many left handed potters I know throw clockwise.   If your wife has already learned to throw clockwise, I see little point in having her relearn.  On the other hand, if she's just starting out, learning counterclockwise is what I'd also recommend.  

I inherited an old model B from a friend who is left handed and who has always thrown clockwise.  Reversing the direction involves opening the control box and switching the two wires going to the motor.  It's a pretty quick fix.  It's also a good opportunity to check the condition of the wiring in the control box, as the insulation is sometimes degraded on these older wheels and may need to be replaced.

• 1 year later...
I'm searching for the same. Here's what I found:
Depending on where you live, I'd check on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace for a wheel that has a forward/reverse toggle. 

I'm not comfortable with wiring an electrical motor, so I would ask around for help installing a switch. Preferably a switch with forward, neutral, reverse, since a simple toggle (forward/reverse) switch can blow the motor.

You can find alot on DPDT switchs on You Tube as well. Never bought into the lefty throwing direction myself

as Neil said

(Throwing direction is not a matter of being left or right handed. Western cultures typically throw counter-clockwise, and eastern cultures typically work clockwise. I recommend she learn to work counter-clockwise as she may encounter wheels that only go that direction if she attends workshops. Plus most instructional videos will be done that way.)