QotW: What is your predominant method of decorating the greenware, and how do you deal with this decoration in your glazing?

Hi folks, time for another topic, and don't forget you may post new ideas for QotW in the pool here:

Of late I have considered some changes in the decorative process, I have often been interested in surface decoration and texture. I have probably done the gambit of Impressing, incising, piercing, added on clay or sprigging. In my earlier years I did mostly glaze dipping over bare surfaces, then spraying glazes through lace, and silk flower/leaves, along with calligraphic brushwork to bring out or add details. The last 20 years have been more about texture in the piece; first was faceting, then incising the unshaped cylinder. Then I started stamping, and forcing more into the clay to the point I often had to repair the piece when leather hard. Glazing was completed by spraying from different angles to highlight the surfaces. Lately I have considered returning to the smooth surfaces for large areas, with other areas of texture applied before the shaping. I would then decorate the smooth areas as mentioned before with stencils and inglaze work.

QotW: What is your predominant method of decorating the greenware, and how do you deal with this decoration in your glazing?

best,

Pres

Glazing a large jar or vase I spray,  if I am making a set of dishes I dip.   The last few years I was making coiled, smoothed pots with Mimbres designs on them with a lot of naked clay on the pots.  I brushed the designs on with very small brushes.   I am starting on a sculptural mural,  I am planning on using under glaze, clear glaze, mat glaze and naked areas.  I haven't got that part totally put together,  the glaze will be brushed on.    Denice

• Pres unpinned this topic