Skutt 1027 Single Phase Reattach Top Ring

Clayla

Hey all!

I just purchased an old Skutt 1027 to do bisque firings in. The top ring is unattached. I need to wire it back together!

There are 2 grounding wires and one conducting wire that lead from the middle box  to the top box...all unattached. There's a wiring diagram at the end of this manual. I just don't know how to read it. I have two questions:

1. How do I determine which grounding wire ( N & L according to the diagram) goes to each ground?

2. Which of the three available connections do I connect the conducting wire to? 

13 hours ago, Clayla said:

1. How do I determine which grounding wire ( N & L according to the diagram) goes to each ground?

2. Which of the three available connections do I connect the conducting wire to? 

I noted the diagram below, so if this is your kiln diagram, then it may help. First this is 240v single phase  3wire, so in North America, two hots and one ground, no neutral. Back in the day grounds were bolted to the metal cabinetry and the metal itself served as the ground wire. Now days it’s still bolted but wires are also run when practical to the next available junction or between bonding points just to ensure everything is bonded effectively to ground and not relying on the metal cabinetry as a  conductor for safety.

If you are scrapping the plugs and hard wiring these then running the two hots and ground appropriately from box to box is necessary. All this wiring gets hot so appropriate high temp wire is usually required.

Note: there appears to be a continuity error in this drawing from Skutt where it is impossible to follow the phases from start to finish and one or more of the inter box connectors is miss-drawn as well. Just likely an error in the drawing, each element set runs on 240 v  so both phases are required, their sequence not as important.

The exception
In the US we have split phase for 240 V which ends up as the voltage measured between two 120v phases. Elsewhere, 240V single phase is true single phase which would contain a neutral and ground. From your location I assume this kiln is in the states.

BE61D96A-8011-47B7-8E94-3370FFEC223C.jpeg

Archived