Sanity check for witness cone

JohnS

Hey guys, 

Finally got back to testing the duncan kiln that you've been helping me with. 

Test fired an almost empty kiln today (5 mugs), and fired at cone 06.  Only took around 3 hours. 

The witness cone turned out as in the photo, which to me looks fine but could someone verify that it's there or thereabouts? My only concern was the speed in which it completed the firing but if the kiln is pretty much empty then I'm guessing it wouldn't have taken long anyway. 

Hopefully the last time I need to bother you with this! 

Cheers 

John 

DSC_0163_compress80.jpg

31 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

It looks a bit over-fired to me. It should be bent to 90 degrees. Adjust the sitter by lowering the tab that is held by the claw, so that the claw doesn't have to move as far to release it.

Cool, I actually thought the fit was a little snug. No issue with the time it took to fire then no? 

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Cool, I actually thought the fit was a little snug. No issue with the time it took to fire then no? 

Definitely an issue that it fired that fast. At some point it's going to blow something up, and you're not going to get all the organics burned out well going that fast. Is there another setting you can try?

4 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Definitely an issue that it fired that fast. At some point it's going to blow something up, and you're not going to get all the organics burned out well going that fast. Is there another setting you can try?

Without going over old ground from a previous thread, yeah, I can try turning the dial round a bit. 2 of the 5 pots did explode but I put that down to human error rather than kiln error but it could have been the kiln of course. 

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Without going over old ground from a previous thread, yeah, I can try turning the dial round a bit. 2 of the 5 pots did explode but I put that down to human error rather than kiln error but it could have been the kiln of course. 

Firing that fast it was probably the kiln. Even bone dry pots have moisture in them and can explode if fired too quickly.

@JohnSiquestions are not a bother, there are other people out there with the same question and too shy to ask.  have never known anyone here to bite.

before you fire your kiln again, be very careful to completely remove any chips from the exploded pots that may have fallen into the channels that hold the element wires.   a vacuum cleaner run on all parts of the kiln is best,   use a hand mirror to inspect each groove and be scrupulous about cleaning out everything.

Archived