Polishing Glazed Stoneware after Grinding?

Hello

I have a few mugs with a glaze drip beneath the handle that I'd like to grind down for stability. No issue with that. What I'm wondering is--is there a way to polish the grinded bit of glaze that will return it to a more similar surface texture to the rest of the piece? Or would I need to re-fire to accomplish this? I'm a relatively new potter so any tips / advice are greatly appreciated. I've only been able to find different ways to grind / prevent drips in the first place, but not so much on how to return the sanded bits to a similar glossiness seen in the rest of the ware or if this is even possible.

Thanks!

You might want to try very fine grit wet/dry sandpaper like they use for automobile painting, use under water to avoid generating dust.  Use successively finer grits, and be prepared to spend some time at it.   Finish with polishing compound on a buffing wheel for final polishing.  Or just throw it in with your next glaze load and re-fire it.

@catahoulacatie, if you do re-fire it I'ld suggest putting it on a waster thin slab of clay just in case the glaze runs again.

PS - I like your online name, my Catahoula, Lou, from his younger days. (he passed a little while back at 18) Such wonderfully intelligent dogs.

IMG_0121.jpeg.761057bba432deba64b96f6aff2326df.jpeg

@Piedmont Pottery Thank you for the advice! I will give it a go this weekend :)

@Min Aw thank you!! I grew up with a Catahoula leopard dog here in Louisiana where the breed originates,  or so I'm told! Your Lou looks like a sweetie pie--so sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose that friendship. I lost my long time companion of 14 or so years this past March. They are just the most deep feeling, smart, loyal dogs.  

• 7 months later...

Thank you for posting this. I’m a new potter and having trouble finding any info on fixing little glaze issues. I use a dremel to fix sharp edges, but don’t know how to make those glaze surfaces look better after grinding. Any tips or resources would be appreciated! Thank you.

Type in glass polishing  in google as glaze is glass and polishing down thru rough to fine grits is the only way I know of-lots of work.

If you grind down the drip to a fine edge then its not as big of an issue (that means take more off)

Archived