1238330476_20210613_0910362.jpg.c21d98412a518af6a12dae2b9963e9cc.jpgI am a bit confused by the 240 volts listed on the front and the 120 volts listed on th side. I think the kiln runs at 120 volts? Not 240 volts. I have to replace the elements now and re wire the outlet for 120v 30amp. (I think.) I would like to have a manual but can only find the one for the sitter.

My questions:

Does this kiln run at 120 volts ac 60hz or 240 volts ac?

Were can I get new elements for this model?

Were can I find a manual for this model kiln?

Thank you in advance.

20210613_091054~2.jpg

20210613_091030_HDR~2.jpg

Welcome to the forum @charlesrsmart, It does indeed seem that you have an Evenheat model 810 kiln which was built with 120v power. It doe have a skutt kiln sitter on it that is "rated" to 240vac. You kiln is rated to fire up to cone 8 which along with its size is a compromise in order to fire using house voltage.

As before, welcome, and if you have further questions I believe there are several here that would be willing to help you.

best,

Pres

Oh my, you have a small problem there. As Pres notes, it is indeed a 120V kiln. It is rated to draw 16 amps, which requires a 20 amp circuit. The plug in your picture, however, has been improperly "altered." A 120V/20A circuit uses a NEMA 5-20 plug and receptacle in which the flat blades are not parallel. Your picture shows that the blade on the left side, which was supposed to be vertical, has been twisted to horizontal to match the blade on the right side. This changes it to a NEMA 6-15 configuration, which would be 240V and 15 amps if the matching receptacle is appropriately wired. Thus, if you are driving the originally specified 7.5 ohm elements at 240 volts, the kiln will be drawing 32 amps or twice the rated amount for the plug/ receptacle/ circuit wiring (and probably the kiln internal wiring too), and the kiln will be running at 4 times the designed wattage. If you change the circuit and its receptacle back to the originally specified 120V/20A (i.e., NEMA 5-20), you will need to cut that altered plug off and repair it with a proper 5-20P plug. Do not just rewire the existing incorrect receptacle and put a different breaker on the circuit. Plugs and receptacles have specific configurations of prongs and slots for each different combination of voltage/amperage, so if someone in the future sees a what appears to be a 6-15 receptacle on the wall with both slots horizontal, they should expect the voltage from it to be 240V and up to 15A of available current. Consequently, their device that has a matching plug would fail because the outlet is not providing the correct power. Always be sure plugs, receptacles, wires, and overcurrent protection (the breaker) properly match industry standards so that everything will work safely and correctly now for you and for a future user of that outlet.

As for new elements, Euclids.com can provide elements for just about any kiln ever made.

9 hours ago, charlesrsmart said:

I have to replace the elements now and re wire the outlet for 120v 30amp. (I think.) I would like to have a manual but can only find the one for the sitter.

My questions:

Does this kiln run at 120 volts ac 60hz or 240 volts ac?

Were can I get new elements for this model?

Were can I find a manual for this model kiln?

Wiring diagram  https://a9843d05-6c8c-4a08-9cea-92539c11e7e9.filesusr.com/ugd/3a9418_a1cceff3474e4739a5e788fcae1b12a1.pdf

Current manuals https://www.evenheat-kiln.com/hf-ceramic-kiln-per-manuals

your wiring diagram and the label on the kiln says 120v. You should need a dedicated  120v circuit (1 hot, 1 neutral, & 1 earth ground), and according to them https://www.evenheat-kiln.com/rm2-ceramic-kiln-per-specs a 20 amp fully rated breaker which is interesting as these would be hard to come by, I don’t believe they make 100% breakers in the 20 amp range.  Ordinary breakers are usually derated to no more than 80% fully loaded. My last recollection, they (100% rated)  were not made below 250 amps. It looks like the former owner twisted the original plug to fit a dryer receptacle and hopefully rewired the dryer receptacle to 120v.

Likely your electrician will wire this circuit for a 25 amp breaker and 30 amp rated wire. This kiln sort of does not fall into the easy requirements for breaker sizing of continuous loads which is typically at least 125% of the load but not more than 150%. 18 amps X 1.25 says  minimum breaker size for continuous load = 22.5 amps but not more than 18 amps X 1.50 = 27 amps. This is a tough spot for sparky  but 25 amp single pole breakers are made and can be had.

Elements: Evenheat, Euclids

I'd replace the entire power cord with a 30 amp cord and plug, wire up the outlet with 30 amp rated wire, and put it on a 25 amp breaker.

Kiln Sitters were used on pretty much every kiln made for decades before everything went digital. They are rated for 240 volts and up to 50 amps, but can be used on any kiln that doesn't exceed those parameters. The serial plate is the actual kiln info.

Archived