Brand New Skutt 818 Kiln floor crack

Hi!

I own a brand new 818 kiln from Skutt which I fired about 10 times so far,  bisque and glaze. It developed a long crack along the bottom.

I'm aware that cracks in the brick are normal and eventually happen but do they usually show up so soon? I always place a bottom shelf on 1" posts.

The crack itself not very wide but what worries me is that it goes from wall to wall.

Thank you!

B69935A1-520C-479C-894C-305C6949C93A_1_105_c.jpeg.cf886493844878765d855ae9014acf1b.jpeg

Floor cracks are normal. As long as they're hairline then you don't really need to worry about it. The metal stand that comes with the kiln  will work just fine, especially with a small kiln like yours, however you have to make sure the kiln floor is sitting evenly on the stand. If it can rock at all then the floor will flex and be more likely to have severe cracks. Wiggle the kiln and see if it rocks, then use thin pieces of sheet metal under the feet of the stand to shim it as needed. It doesn't have to be perfectly level or anything that picky, just not rocking.

Archived